Cool and Interesting OT Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chipmunk222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it seems like other health professions has opportunities for some very cool and interesting jobs. For example, doctors can work for pharmaceutical firms as a head scientist or even start a research firm, or be a medical consultant for a tv show, or whatever. Opportunities are endless.

So now I'm wondering, anyone hear of cool, uncommon jobs that OTs can do? For example, work for a consulting company, work for NASA etc???? I'm interested in seeing what OTs can do outside of the typical OT work we know of.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm. That's a good question.
I can't think of anything -- except I'm going to school for OT to eventually do equine-assisted therapy... so there are different dynamics that can play into your job. It may not be NASA, but it's out of the hospital and working with amazing creatures to help heal bodies.

I'm sure that OTs work with different companies to develop alternative products for patients to use -- in other words, there are probably "inventor" OTs.

I'll be interested to see what other people say!

Ooh yes, I've heard of equine therapy...very cool! I assume that is more on the uncommon side too. I also read an article about OTs using dog therapy to help autistic children.

Yup, I'm hoping people will respond to this..."inventor" OT jobs would be very cool, so would jobs in the corporate dept (I dunno, I'm guessing something that would increase productivity for hte company?). I just want to see what is out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
MOTstudent, I'm sure you must have come across this :
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/24/autism.horse.mongolia/index.html
Posting it here just in case...

Chipmunk222, the idea of inventor OTs seems interesting and I think OTs can work with engineers to develop products in the adaptive tech area or develop it themselves if they have an engineering background.

But I think, the volition should be to help an individual or a group of individuals who would benefit from the invention or product, making their lives easier or more fruitful.

Does the term 'increasing productivity for a company' gel well with what OT is all about? I don't know. It would be nice if some senior OT students or OTs offered thoughts on this.

Thanks indiegal!! I've read many articles and books on equine-assisted therapy/hippotherapy, but hadn't seen that one yet. What a great story!! Now I want to read the book. Horses were my refuge as a kid - I never had any major emotional or physical problems, but I've felt their magic :)

What about ergonomics? Or, the use of Tai Chi, Yoga, aquatic therapy. Consultants galore. Those are the one's I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks indiegal!! I've read many articles and books on equine-assisted therapy/hippotherapy, but hadn't seen that one yet. What a great story!! Now I want to read the book. Horses were my refuge as a kid - I never had any major emotional or physical problems, but I've felt their magic :)

you're welcome! I am not much of a horse/animal lover, but the connection I've seen between kids and animals is nothing short of amazing.

I'd like to read the book too - but if you're a movie person, the book has been made into a movie http://www.horseboymovie.com/Film.php

These might be things you already thought of, but along with the designing AT equiptment you could work for a toy company creating toys that help emerge fine motor skills/ sensory processing. You could do all types of non-profit work like Lekotek and advocating, direct a camp for children/adults with disabilites, work in health policy...
I feel it all depends on your areas of interest.

Hi,
Alot of people above have really good answers, for the most part you can do anything in OT because it so broad and the word "Occupation" pretty much sums up everything people do in life. You might find this article interesting from the New York times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/health/18patient.html

There is more treatments now with robots! Which the patients put their hand with a robotic hand and the robot simulates the hand movement. Guess who is doing lots of research with that ,OTs! So as the profession becomes more well known more doors will open for intresting jobs.( Not that traditional OT job is boring) So dont worry the profession has alot of potential, and you will be suprised how many people are in need of our services and skills there is lots of room for creativity all we have to do is find a niche.

I am loving this thread!! Whenever we think of, hear of, or read of OT's doing something other than the "traditional therapy" OT work, I would love to hear it! Not that that traditional OT work is boring, it's just interesting to find out what kind of niches other OTs have gotten into and what we could potentially get into. The further out of traditional OT work, the more "interesting" it can get because we get see really, all the millions of ways OT can be applied. To be honest, I would love to get into strategy consulting later on in life (like most people looking for a career change), and while OT isn't similar to a MBA, I really think it will be an asset if I figure out some sort of niche, and I'm starting to see a spot for me in assistive technology industry.