Contract Negotiations for a New Hire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bball1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Joining a large scale multi-specialty medical group (~2000 providers, ?~800 physicians) in northeast as a newly graduating fellowship trained urologist. Should MGMA or AGMA data be used for negotiations? What are expectations for me? Reasonable assumption to use 2019 data as it was the last set of data without COVID interruptions in 2020, and 2021 data from any of these organizations not quite released yet. If anyone has relevant data to see, can DM me, TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Joining a large scale multi-specialty medical group (~2000 providers, ?~800 physicians) in northeast as a newly graduating fellowship trained urologist. Should MGMA or AGMA data be used for negotiations? What are expectations for me? Reasonable assumption to use 2019 data as it was the last set of data without COVID interruptions in 2020, and 2021 data from any of these organizations not quite released yet. If anyone has relevant data to see, can DM me, TIA!

I think urologist compensation actually increased a bit in 2020 and 2021 due to changes in the CMS wRVU tables. It's a good idea to look at the MGMA data for reference, but salary obviously isn't the only factor you need to consider or negotiate.

The way you talk it sounds like this is definitely the job you are taking, but you haven't talked salary yet? My best advice to you would be to make sure you interview at multiple jobs and field multiple offers before you sign with someone. It will give you a lot more knowledge and bargaining power.

Agree with above. Get multiple offers to compare and increase your options or leverage. Salary is important (and use MGMA to benchmark); but equally important is other factors like path to partnership, buy in, how partners are paid (RVU vs collections; etc), average reimbursement per RVU, collection of ancillary revenues if the group owns the equipment and facilities, need for your services (will you be able to get busy quickly) and so on.