Consulting to Medicine & Post Bacc in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

screamingcatowner

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to move from management consulting to a future profession in healthcare/medicine.

Some background about myself:
  • 23 yr old that has been working in management consulting (Big 4) for the past 1.5 years in New York City. Industry focus I have at work is currently in pharma/life sciences.
  • Undergrad from well known public university in CA (think UC Berkeley, UCLA). Graduated 2022.
  • Born and raised in CA until graduation, then I moved to NY. Current NY resident.
  • Majored in Statistics (cgpa: 3.2, major gpa: 3.5)
  • Current volunteer at a hospital near me
  • Some previous healthcare work I had while in college:
    • Volunteer at hospital
    • EMT
    • Shadowing
A few questions I have:
  1. I have come to the understanding that Statistics counts when calculating sgpa. Can someone here please confirm or deny this? I am trying to calculate my sgpa but want to make sure I take into account all the classes I took.
  2. I would like to do a DIY post bacc since it would be cheaper for me. Are there any issues with taking a DIY post-bacc in comparison to an official one?
  3. I took an introductory biology class my freshman year of college as a general education course, which was the 2018-2019 school year. In that class, I received a B. I am looking to do a Post-bacc, but I took this class 5 years ago. Can I retake the class to freshen up my memory, or would that look badly upon me? I am not sure if I can audit the course.
  4. If anyone here is from the NYC metro area, can you let me know where you recommend taking classes? I have been looking into both SUNY and CUNY.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It won't hurt to retake it if you feel you need to. This is YOUR education. You do with it what you want (within reason). Step back in this case and think about it. You are trying to be the most prepared for school from a science aspect. If you do not feel that strong in Biology and feel you need to take that course to thrive, then you take that course. This particular case isn't about pleasing ad coms. Any that would dock you for taking a course when you were just trying to better yourself can piss off imo.

Look into Fordham as well. There are threads about the NYC programs. There is one where it's easy to get into classes. I remember something about how one of the institutions doesn't let the non-formal post baccers choose classes until everyone else so it's tough to get into the courses (iirc). You'll have to do more research on that or maybe someone more familiar will know.

Here is one of them.

1. If anyone here is from the NYC metro area, can you let me know where you recommend taking classes? I have been looking into both SUNY and CUNY.

I used CUNY, recommend 10/10--there are several threads like this and this that can deep dive more on CUNY experiences. Long story short: cheap and convenient. The best CUNY is the one that is closest to you. Look up E-Permitting as that came in handy as well.

Good Luck

Thank you!

Can I ask which CUNY you decided to go to and your experience so far?

Edit: realized I dont know how to use the quote functionality lol

Hi all,

Looking to move from management consulting to a future profession in healthcare/medicine.

Some background about myself:
  • 23 yr old that has been working in management consulting (Big 4) for the past 1.5 years in New York City. Industry focus I have at work is currently in pharma/life sciences.
  • Undergrad from well known public university in CA (think UC Berkeley, UCLA). Graduated 2022.
  • Born and raised in CA until graduation, then I moved to NY. Current NY resident.
  • Majored in Statistics (cgpa: 3.2, major gpa: 3.5)
  • Current volunteer at a hospital near me
  • Some previous healthcare work I had while in college:
    • Volunteer at hospital
    • EMT
    • Shadowing
A few questions I have:
  1. I have come to the understanding that Statistics counts when calculating sgpa. Can someone here please confirm or deny this? I am trying to calculate my sgpa but want to make sure I take into account all the classes I took.
  2. I would like to do a DIY post bacc since it would be cheaper for me. Are there any issues with taking a DIY post-bacc in comparison to an official one?
  3. I took an introductory biology class my freshman year of college as a general education course, which was the 2018-2019 school year. In that class, I received a B. I am looking to do a Post-bacc, but I took this class 5 years ago. Can I retake the class to freshen up my memory, or would that look badly upon me? I am not sure if I can audit the course.
  4. If anyone here is from the NYC metro area, can you let me know where you recommend taking classes? I have been looking into both SUNY and CUNY.
Thank you!
Your goal is to get A-s. Don’t go to queens college or brooklyn college cuny- those are weed out courses and have some pretty smart kids. I’d go to the easiest (one that has the highest acceptance rate) 4 year college in the cuny system- maybe Lehmans?

Thank you!

Can I ask which CUNY you decided to go to and your experience so far?

Edit: realized I dont know how to use the quote functionality lol

I don't want to share what my home CUNY was, but E-permitting makes your home CUNY irrelevant as you can take classes across the city. I came from an undergrad where all CUNYs felt the same difficulty-wise, so YMMV, just don't go to Baruch (Business only) and John Jay (Criminal Justice) for obvious reasons.

My experience was great, I'm finishing my first year in medical school, and no schools cared where I did my post-bacc during the interview trial.

Reactions: 1 user