Consultant doing Postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor2010

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any management consultants with top firms out there taking postbacc premed courses in NYC or other big cities? I'm just wondering if it's feasible to take courses part-time with the crazy consulting work schedule...

Members don't see this ad.

Getting into med school has to be easier than getting a job at any firm in consulting, so I think you can make it!

I was a strategy consultant at a top firm and decided to pursue medicine. There are a number of things to consider when deciding to attempt to enroll in classes while still working.

1) Do you have to take all 4 classes or did you finish some as an undergrad?
2) Does your personal/family financial situation allow for you to return to full-time education?
3) How long do you want to wait before becoming a doctor? It's a long road already, do you want to passively or aggressively attack the pre-med requirements?
4) What have you done to test this interest in medicine?
5) If you do post-bac, what avenues exist to gain clinical experience? Research experience?

I had only worked for a short while, not years. But with international travel and 80 hour weeks, taking a class on a weeknight would never have been an option. I decided to leave consulting and gained a position as an ER Tech(20-hours). I finished the chem sequence at Northwestern that I abandoned my freshman year. I took Bio during the summer at Harvard. Then, returned to Northwestern for Orgo and Physics the following year and returned to working in the ER. I took the MCAT that April.

An ambitious student can finish the sequence in 15 months(Chem first summer, Orgo, Physics, Bio during the following academic year, and study all the following summer for the August MCAT).

I would ask you to give some detail on your college experiences. What were you involved with? When did you graduate and from where? Majors and overall gpa breakdown for each individual year? What have you been doing since college? What consulting firm do you work at?

Give me a better picture of your situation overall. I feel confident I can give you some good advice because it's a difficult decision to leave a burgeoning career and pursue medicine.