Considering prescribing HRT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papermate44

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve started to go down a rabbit hole of perimenopausal/menopausal symptoms and treatment. This topic was not discussed much in medical school, (obviously not my training in anesthesia). Every month there’s new literature that comes out that fascinates me. It’s made me wonder if these mid 40 year olds with fibromyalgia type symptoms should try progesterone/estradiol replacement therapy to see if it helps their symptoms. Perimenopause and fibromyalgia seem almost identical in presentation it seems….

Thoughts on starting to prescribe HRT to these types of patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Test supplementation indisputably decreases pain, regardless of insufficiency

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
there is very little literature out there that looks at HRT for fibromyalgia. i jsut did a search and found 1 article that was positive, 1 not.

positive:

negative:

there is increasingly more evidence that fibromyalgia may be more immunologically related, and hormonal therapy may be something to consider.

should be studied more. of course, there are risks to HRT therapy...

Are you looking for justification to start billing cash for putting testosterone pellets in women’s’ butts? Because there are already pain doctors doing that. Cash pay makes everything seem so reasonable :)

Reactions: 1 user
Are you looking for justification to start billing cash for putting testosterone pellets in women’s’ butts? Because there are already pain doctors doing that. Cash pay makes everything seem so reasonable :)
A whole lot of physicians in general doing that haha. Saturated

• Haha
If you’re looking for an ancillary, start offering suboxone for OUD. More proximate to our training/field than HRT, solid evidence, and you’ll do more for those patients and society.

I guess maybe some overlap with symptoms but fibro vs menopause seem different enough to me. I agree that their is more and more compelling evidence that immune interactions with the nervous system leads to fibro et al symptoms and there is likely some role for immune modulation for that group though definitely not clear exactly what. I am no way an expert on menopause but what I have come across seems like HRT can definitely be helpful, and that the risks may be overstated. There is also good evidence for management of hot flashes with hypnosis which is often one of the more disabling symptoms.