Considering DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ellebelle527

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I do not know much about DO schools, I am looking into doing some shadowing, I have heard that there is "no difference," but if this is true why are they usually easier to get in compared to allopathic schools? I am just trying to learn more so I can formulate an opinion, so anything is appreciated!

(I applied to MD schools this past cycle but did not make it off of waitlists)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! So I do not know much about DO schools, I am looking into doing some shadowing, I have heard that there is "no difference," but if this is true why are they usually easier to get in compared to allopathic schools? I am just trying to learn more so I can formulate an opinion, so anything is appreciated!

There is a difference. On average, DO schools will have lower quality 3rd and 4th year rotations and far less research opportunities and funding. You will have a much more difficult time getting mid/upper tier allopathic residencies in many specialties and some specialties will be exceedingly hard to get any allopathic residency for. The quality and content of the 1st and 2nd year education is pretty comparable.

If your goal is to go to a mid tier internal medicine/psychiatry/neurology/EM residency, you shouldn't have any problems. If you must do something like derm or neurosurgery then you should try for MD again.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay that is helpful, my problem is that I don't know what kind of doctor that I want to be yet (since everything is interesting to me still) but I do not want to limit myself. I think I will still try for MD but I will consider DO down the line.

Okay that is helpful, my problem is that I don't know what kind of doctor that I want to be yet (since everything is interesting to me still) but I do not want to limit myself. I think I will still try for MD but I will consider DO down the line.

Always, ALWAYS try for MD first if you can. Then go for DO.

Reactions: 9 users
Always, ALWAYS try for MD first if you can. Then go for DO.

Keep in mind that OP did already try for MD first, and got nothing but waitlists. The question now becomes, should OP risk another cycle of MD only apps without throwing in DO as a backup, and potentially have to wait an additional year (until after a 3rd app cycle) before starting.

That obviously depends on a lot of factors including stats, track record, how many MD schools they applied to, how many interviews OP got and how OP feels about either option.

Reactions: 5 users
Another thing to consider: most med school's requirements are going up, both the MD and DO schools. If you wait another year because you wanted to only try for MDs again, it might be harder for you to get into DO schools down the road. Some DO schools already have an avg matriculating MCAT of 30, (I think 509 on the new scale?? Don't know too much about the scoring for the new tests). So keep that in mind when putting it off

Reactions: 2 users
Always keep DO as a backup if you're applying Md, but of course don't let anyone know in the slightest bit that it is for backup. You gotta have that cushion in the app season. Like someone else said, it gets more and more competitive and cutthroat every year, so don't hesitate to also apply DO

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
IF there is a DO school within driving distance, go visit them and chat up the DO faculty.

DO schools are more willing to forgive academic mistakes than MD schools (see "grade replacement")

There is a difference. On average, DO schools will have lower quality 3rd and 4th year rotations and far less research opportunities and funding. You will have a much more difficult time getting mid/upper tier allopathic residencies in many specialties and some specialties will be exceedingly hard to get any allopathic residency for. The quality and content of the 1st and 2nd year education is pretty comparable.

If your goal is to go to a mid tier internal medicine/psychiatry/neurology/EM residency, you shouldn't have any problems. If you must do something like derm or neurosurgery then you should try for MD again.
Taking two sets of boards also sucks, for the record. Twice the chance to have a bad testing experience.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied to MD schools this past cycle but did not make it off of waitlists

I'll be honest, if you couldn't take the initiative to do a simple Google search before inquiring about something you may commit your life to for the next 4 years, there may be a explanation for the above.

At the end of the day, do you "just" want to be a physician or do you have your heart set on a subspecialty or an ivory tower?

If the former, DO is just fine. If the latter, DO can get you there but it's more of an uphill battle, and MD is the smarter choice.

At the end of the day, do you "just" want to be a physician or do you have your heart set on a subspecialty or an ivory tower?

If the former, DO is just fine. If the latter, DO can get you there but it's more of an uphill battle, and MD is the smarter choice.

"uphill battle" is quite an understatement. You essentially have to be one of the top DOs in the country to accomplish the same thing an above average student at a low-tier MD school.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing you'll learn is there's a ton of prestige addicts on SDN.

If you're gunning for a hyper-competitive residency, don't even bother with DO. If you'd be happy with any residency that'll give you high quality training (with some specialty limitations), there are plenty of options available.

I'll be honest, if you couldn't take the initiative to do a simple Google search before inquiring about something you may commit your life to for the next 4 years, there may be a explanation for the above.
The MD vs DO differences are incredibly nuanced and complex. It's not like searching the weather. Plus with all the people on here ranging from delusional to downright lying about the disadvantages, it's hard to get an accurate representation. And with the merger taking us into unknown territory the situation becomes even more convoluted.

And are you seriously dense enough to think any of this is any indication why the OP did not make it off waitlists? Or is that just your attempt at an psuedointellectual burn?

The MD vs DO differences are incredibly nuanced and complex. It's not like searching the weather. Plus with all the people on here ranging from delusional to downright lying about the disadvantages, it's hard to get an accurate representation. And with the merger taking us into unknown territory the situation becomes even more convoluted.

And are you seriously dense enough to think any of this is any indication why the OP did not make it off waitlists? Or is that just your attempt at an psuedointellectual burn?

If you think the differences are "incredibly nuanced and complex", then life is going to be quite difficult for you.

If OP seriously cannot take the time to take 2 minutes to do a Google search regarding something that they might commit to the next few years, the lack of effort will not only be on SDN.

Horrible advice going around. If you applied once and were waitlisted MD, then apply DO or substantially change your application.

If you want to be a physician, become a physician. If you go to a DO program you will be a physician.

Reactions: 8 users

Honestly, i'm only posting so people read the above post again. It is gold.

Also: I ONLY applied to DO schools. Personal preference.

lol reading back at this is amusing & I am a third (almost 4th year) MD student so there you go @JustaDO :)

OP, glad it worked out. Just curious, did you reapply MD only or MD with a couple DO?

There are random moments that I wonder whether I should have reapplied, but honestly, I got to stay within an hour of home, came out with way less debt, and I probably wouldn't have matched any better.

Man, I was just starting 4th year when I posted on this thread. Seems like eons ago now that I'm almost done with PGY3 in middle of a freakin pandemic.

OP, glad it worked out. Just curious, did you reapply MD only or MD with a couple DO?

There are random moments that I wonder whether I should have reapplied, but honestly, I got to stay within an hour of home, came out with way less debt, and I probably wouldn't have matched any better.

Man, I was just starting 4th year when I posted on this thread. Seems like eons ago now that I'm almost done with PGY3 in middle of a freakin pandemic.
Ultimately, I reapplied just MD & without re-taking the MCAT (which ultimately was my weaker spot). & admittedly I was worried about the stigma of DO school, which I admit was a narrow focus. Because at the end of the day we all just want to be physicians & help others.

Ultimately, I reapplied just MD & without re-taking the MCAT (which ultimately was my weaker spot). & admittedly I was worried about the stigma of DO school, which I admit was a narrow focus. Because at the end of the day we all just want to be physicians & help others.
It was an excellent decision don’t doubt yourself. Just look at charting outcomes if your not sure.

If you think the differences are "incredibly nuanced and complex", then life is going to be quite difficult for you.

If OP seriously cannot take the time to take 2 minutes to do a Google search regarding something that they might commit to the next few years, the lack of effort will not only be on SDN.
Lol damn this was a douchey comment.

• Haha

Not a narrow focus IMO. I regret not just working on my main deficiency and going for MD. Not vain enough to care about the title, but the perception of DOs in medicine is far behind that of MDs. Fixing my application would have been a lot less painful than some of the more BS aspects of DO medical school.

Not a narrow focus IMO. I regret not just working on my main deficiency and going for MD. Not vain enough to care about the title, but the perception of DOs in medicine is far behind that of MDs. Fixing my application would have been a lot less painful than some of the more BS aspects of DO medical school.
Bad experience with DO?

Bad experience with DO?

Sitting around learning about chapman's points and cranial is an insult to our time and the intellect of just about any person alive. Combine that with having to take additional boards, uniformly weaker rotations, and then be considered below MD counterparts in residency selection, is all just another blow to the entire process. I eventually just want to go into PC or something similar, so DO will get me there and I'm grateful for that opportunity, but the MD route is all-around better and was probably within my reach if I had just spent a few months working towards that. I would only ever recommend the DO route if MD was a non-starter (very low GPA, poor MCAT performance(s). Otherwise, you should make the attempts at MD.

Update again (lol) - just got picked to be a chief resident. if you want it, make it happen!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users