Congrats on making it to 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most of the thread-readers on this site are just like me... 4th year students, so I just wanted to say Happy New Year... and we finally made it to 2003!

I remember when I started medical school, and during the White Coat Ceremony, they introduced us as the class of 2003. I remember thinking "Good Knight, that's a long ways away... two-thousand THREE!"

Well, we made it!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
I know that most of the thread-readers on this site are just like me... 4th year students, so I just wanted to say Happy New Year... and we finally made it to 2003!

I remember when I started medical school, and during the White Coat Ceremony, they introduced us as the class of 2003. I remember thinking "Good Knight, that's a long ways away... two-thousand THREE!"

Well, we made it!!!!!!!!

When does everyone graduate? How much of a vacation do you have between then and mid-June/July 1st.

CWRU is May 18th and I currently have March as a vaca month but I'm trying to switch it with April (optho/path) so I'll have 2 months off before July 1st.

mike

The more I talk to people the more I realize that me and my classmates are getting screwed. We have 2 weeks of scheduled vacation during the fourth year. The last day of clinical rotations is May 23. We get a week off before commencement on May 31. If I match at a program with a start date in the second week of June like many do, things will definitely be tight for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
My last day of rotations is March 31st. We get one month our third or fourth year to do whatever we want. I will choose to take all of April off. Our school finishes rotations April. Graduate third week of May. We have one week of "senior week" which includes like ACLS recert and what not.

Sounds like we have a good deal at my school (NSUCOM, a do program in FL), but we do not get any time off during third or fourth year, no Christmas or spring break (I know Univ of MD students get that), and only four elective months (two of which have to be primary care)...

We do get 2 weeks for Christmas third and fourth year but no spring break.

We graduate May 16th.

Two months of vacation in 4th year.

4th year is all electives except for two requirements...Sub-I and an Integrated Life Science course of our choosing (basically a month back in the lecture hall late in the year).

I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that in the 12 months prior to starting internship, I will be in rotations for precisely 6. Now part of that is because I took a 4th year rotation during my third year break, did some research, and I'll be taking some night classes while doing a rotation during the day, but I'm realizing after reading this column that I attend a famously benign med school. EdinOH, sucks to be in your class. Sorry. But just think how much better prepared for internship you'll be.:p

Prepared my ass! lol I'll be exhausted. :)

The hardest I will have worked will have been during my subI rotations for EM in July and August. The rest are pretty much BS. My school doesn't require a medicine or surgery subI month like many do. I am signed up for a subI level Anesth. month in February. The word is that it is good for gaining experience with airway and art and central lines. It is with a private practice not associated directly with the school. One of those rotations where you get your intubations and sticks and then go home. I already did the basic level anesth. rotation early in the year. It was complete bullsheit. The residents were fighting me for intubations. Not a good sign if applying to anesth!

I recommend doing a critical care month, MICU or M/SICU preferably. It is a great month to see the sickest of the sick and learn about respirators, drips, and rehash all that rusty physiology.
It was my favorite month in my fourth year.
It was a requirement of my school to do ICU and ER along with a subI. It was a great set of rotations. The rest were electives.
In my opinion, the fewer Ed months and the more broad experiences you take the happier you'll be. You only need one or at most 2 ED's to make sure you love it and get a good rec, the rest of the elective should be stuff you'll never see again or you feel weak in......I agree anesthesia is a great one for tubes and lines..........cards is also a great rotation if it is set up to be a teaching rotation not a scut month, especially if you round in CCU. Anyway, my 2 cents.....time to sleep for long call awaits me tomorrow.

Cards and ICU are both very popular at my school for the reasons you mentioned. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a spot in the months that I needed them. I did do trauma though which is essentially a unit month.