Confusion with Army Reimbursement for Loupes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSandlapper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
amount to nearly $1000 for just the first semester, is this normal?

Would that be your deposit?

Also, just to be clear, lights/batteries are not to be included right?

Lights are not reimbursed nor is shipping and handling to my knowledge.

And appearently we're suppose to file an exception if it was bought 45 days after our program start date???? Lmk how it goes.....not sure if I want to request reimbursement or have them buy me a new pair after grad.

The Navy allows $1000 for loupes and $400 for a light, but I think they usually just package them together and say $1400 is the max for your loupes/light combo. That's prob what is happening for you. The $1000 or cost means if your loupes are $800 they'll only reimburse you $800, but if they are $1200 they'll only reimbursement you $1000.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are allowed up to $1400.00 for loupes. If you purchase from Designs for Vision and pay $850.00 you will only be reimbursed $850.00. If you purchase from Ziess for $3000.00 you will only get back $1400.00. The Army does not pay for lights, engraving the box or any other doo dads.

This is all based on the supposition that loupes are required of all students in your year group as verified by the school's billing office. In other words, the Army will not reimburse for loupes that are required in year three while you are in year one. Also, there is a huge difference between required and recommended.

Reactions: 1 user