confused about future of matching IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilesDavisTheDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been answered before but the search function on this website isn't great and i've seen mixed things in different threads. In the future are they getting rid of the training pathway where you match DR and then IR fellowship? Is this being replaced by having only and integrated IR residency?

Members don't see this ad.

You can match directly into IR through the integrated pathway, or match into DR first and then match the independent pathway, either 1 year if you have done ESIR, or two years if you haven’t.

I understand thats how it works now but I have read a lot of places online that they programs are moving away from the latter two pathways you mentioned, is that true?

I understand thats how it works now but I have read a lot of places online that they programs are moving away from the latter two pathways you mentioned, is that true?
There used to be a “fellowship” that changed names to the residency. This fellowship is equivalent to the 2 year independent IR pathway. Perhaps that’s what you mean?

The two year independent pathway still exists and there are programs being added every year, so I don’t think it’s going away.

Something to be careful of though is that some residencies that are partnered with a DR residency will preferably rank their DR residents over those from outside.