Complicated MCAT decision HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juuco

Reaction score
I am a sophomore in undergrad with a biochem major, I've got kind of a weird situation that I need to make sense of. I have been accepted to an early admittance DO program that would have me enter med school after my junior year of undergrad and skip the mcat. I have some concerns over being able to match competitively as a DO and would like to see what MD options I have, but I am working on a shorter time scale than most.

I am thinking that I can take this coming summer and fall semester to study for the mcat and take a practice exam as a sort of diagnostic for myself. If the mcat blows up in my face, I enter the DO program a year ahead--if it goes well I continue my studying and apply traditionally after continuing to study through spring. To complicate this even more I will being taking biochem first semester of junior year, after I am well into my prep. (I should also state the reason Id like to see my scores before starting in the spring is because I have to pay a $3000 deposit to the DO school and I am broke.)

I just need some advice to make the best out of what seems to be a good situation. Do DOs really match worse statistically? I am I giving myself enough time to make a prediction of my mcat performance? Can I just give myself some grace on scores relating to biochem when making a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Do DOs really match worse statistically?
yep.
Can I just give myself some grace on scores relating to biochem when making a decision?
Nope.

Look, the big thing is you need to figure out if going to this DO school is a good idea. If it's a solid school, I'd take the early admission.

There's not really a right/wrong answer here, you're gambling on your ability to get into a solid MD school which is getting harder every year.

As far as the whole matching competitively thing..... that's getting harder and harder every year, even for MD students. If you aren't OK with being a family doc or a general surgeon, at this point, I'd advise against attending medical school. Not everybody gets to be a dermatologist/ortho surgeon, even if they work their butt off.

Reactions: 1 users
My local DO school has an amazing match. They are always 100% match and have anesthesia, derm, gen surg, ortho surge, IR, and DR. I don't know how common it is but the DO match list on here also has really great matches as well.