COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Red Beard said:

What the... only one match into rad onc?! grrrr...

Members don't see this ad.

uwalum said:
yup, im living there. moving in next sunday or monday. please dont tell me that your nightmare first day has anything to do with the lofts! fill me in. any advice before my move-in? are they hot or do you have the ac cranked?

ps. i've partied the last 5 nites in a row.

Yea, it did have to do with the loft.

First, the water wasn't on, because the plumber forgot to ask the city to come out and turn it on after all the building codes were approved on my loft. You shouldn't have this problem, since the loft your going into was previously occupied (just saw him move out this weekend.).

Second, the pizza place downstairs allowed one of their employees to use the loft for a bit while he settled. They forgot about that, so there was still a couch, a fridge and some mess about the place. I kept the fridge... keke. Again, you shouldn't have these problems since the dude just moved out.

Thirdly, Jason was on vacation during the week and wasn't here, which left his nephew in charge. The dude didn't know what to do about the water and cleaning. Jason was in Lake Havasu, so his phone was out of reach. Again, none of this for you.

Basically, I got here and my loft wasn't ready for me at all. I had to stay at a hotel for one more night, but Jason is covering that. Everything was resolved in a day. Still skeptical about Jason, but we'll see.

The train noises seem bad right before bedtime, but once you fall asleep, you really don't notice it. I'm not a heavy sleeper, so this was a surprise to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
pls accept me said:
Three weeks!? :eek:

Guys please explain what these mean:

gong ju/wang ja syndrome
shee-ummas

Please? :D

i was just looking thru 4 fun (i won't b in ur class, i interviewed but will b at another school), anyways....gong-ju means 'princess' and wang-ja means 'prince' in korean. basically anyone who has princess/prince syndrome or disease is someone who acts like a diva and thinks that they r the s**t and that everyone should basically 'serve and bow down' to them. umma means 'mother' and i'm not sure about the 'shee'? why did this come up?

the alchemist said:
i was just looking thru 4 fun (i won't b in ur class, i interviewed but will b at another school), anyways....gong-ju means 'princess' and wang-ja means 'prince' in korean. basically anyone who has princess/prince syndrome or disease who is someone who acts like a diva and thinks that they r the s**t and that everyone should basically 'serve and bow down' to them. umma means 'mother' and i'm not sure about the 'shee'? why did this come up?

shee-umma means mother in law, on the husband's side. They are notorious for being HORRIBLE, at least in the Korean culture. Primarily because Korea is a patriachal society, and the word for marriage for a female literally translates to going to the Husband's house. *heh*

emeraldcity said:
shee-umma means mother in law, on the husband's side. They are notorious for being HORRIBLE, at least in the Korean culture. Primarily because Korea is a patriachal society, and the word for marriage for a female literally translates to going to the Husband's house. *heh*

oh, yeah, u're right! sorry i'm single so i don't use that word much. although 'umma' is a little informal when addressing one's mother-in-law...it would be shee-uh-muh-nee..and i think they're supposed 2 b horrible in almost any culture. ;)

Junkster said:
kekeke... Korean 101 is in session.

Well, you figure if you're moving to SoCal,
be prepared for the massive quantities of yellow...
*heh*
:D

glad to hear you are still in one piece. Maybe you should have waited to move in until next week. ;)

Bah, it's over and done with. Now, I can start exploring the neighb... I mean, study up on anatomy and such. :D

Junkster said:
Bah, it's over and done with. Now, I can start exploring the neighb... I mean, study up on anatomy and such. :D

damn junkster, that must have sucked ass. at least you got a fridge out of it. anyway, my buddy and i will be there sunday early evening, u should come by and say whats up.

emeraldcity said:
Well, you figure if you're moving to SoCal,
be prepared for the massive quantities of yellow...
*heh*
:D

glad to hear you are still in one piece. Maybe you should have waited to move in until next week. ;)

Emerald, when are you leaving?

We're leaving on the 5th, planning on arriving the afternoon of the 6th...

Red Beard said:
Emerald, when are you leaving?

We're leaving on the 5th, planning on arriving the afternoon of the 6th...

I leave the 29th, and am gonna take my sweet time getting down. :D

we will BBQ the 7th or 8th then, when you get in. Promise boys. Promise.

Imma be bored the first weekend. my roomies are going out of town for a bachelorette party. *hmmm* break in the pool, hit the beach, or VEGAS? :D

emeraldcity said:
I leave the 29th, and am gonna take my sweet time getting down. :D

we will BBQ the 7th or 8th then, when you get in. Promise boys. Promise.

Imma be bored the first weekend. my roomies are going out of town for a bachelorette party. *hmmm* break in the pool, hit the beach, or VEGAS? :D

Yo Emerald,

My friend and I were thinking of Vegas that weekend too. We should get a group of people to go and share a room, that would be pretty sweet. Who's in?

Members don't see this ad :)
uwalum said:
Yo Emerald,

My friend and I were thinking of Vegas that weekend too. We should get a group of people to go and share a room, that would be pretty sweet. Who's in?

so long as I don't have to drive. :p

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to say hi now that I'm down here and moved in. Glad I got here a few weeks early so I missed the mad move-in rush they're expecting next week here at the Helix. Anyways, I'd love to meet up with anybody from the class before school starts since I don't know anybody down here. Let me know!

Andy

kekeke...

Vegas, huh? Well, my vegas trip two months ago was a success (700 bucks up), and my one night stop at Vegas during the move wasn't shabby either (400 bucks up)... so, maybe... long as I don't have to drive.

Looks like everyone is heading down here next week or so. I still need to get some things straightened out before school starts (my piggyback freebie wifi connection disappeared at my loft :( ). Plus, I don't know if I want cable or not, since I have Slingbox set up at my parent's place.

Sigh, who knew moving was so much hassle?

PS. Emerald... garbi for BBQ?

PS... it's blazing hawt down here. Moving will be a shweaty experience.

So its been a crazy past few weeks as far as my acceptance at COMP ..but i just got a call today and will be joining the class of 2010~! My name is Melissa..and just wanted to say hello....did anyone happen to notice that our first year is 11 months? is that a little crazy?.... :confused:

Welcome to the fold, Melissa.

You know, I think someone said that it's probably a misprint. Summer break is longer then that in the first year.

Did anyone call Admin about that?

Junkster said:
kekeke...

Vegas, huh? Well, my vegas trip two months ago was a success (700 bucks up), and my one night stop at Vegas during the move wasn't shabby either (400 bucks up)... so, maybe... long as I don't have to drive.

Looks like everyone is heading down here next week or so. I still need to get some things straightened out before school starts (my piggyback freebie wifi connection disappeared at my loft :( ). Plus, I don't know if I want cable or not, since I have Slingbox set up at my parent's place.

Sigh, who knew moving was so much hassle?

PS. Emerald... garbi for BBQ?

*haha*
I'm hoping UWAlum will be a gent and drive. Unless you guys REALLY want a girl driving. ;) Although, the heat might make the beach sound oh so inviting.

Dude. Since you're already down there, scope me out a Korean market. I will totally make Kalbi.

get cable. then you can be my new best friend, and I can watch football at your loft. :p

MHodeib said:
So its been a crazy past few weeks as far as my acceptance at COMP ..but i just got a call today and will be joining the class of 2010~! My name is Melissa..and just wanted to say hello....did anyone happen to notice that our first year is 11 months? is that a little crazy?.... :confused:

Congrats! Welcome to the club!
yes. it's a misprint. We're out second week of June. :D
Well, at least this year's MI's were done by June 12th.

emeraldcity said:
*haha*
I'm hoping UWAlum will be a gent and drive. Unless you guys REALLY want a girl driving. ;) Although, the heat might make the beach sound oh so inviting.

Dude. Since you're already down there, scope me out a Korean market. I will totally make Kalbi.

get cable. then you can be my new best friend, and I can watch football at your loft. :p

With the heat, I don't know if I want to drive more than an hour to go to some skin-burning sand with dirty water just to sit there and get burnt to a crisp...

Is there a waterpark somewhere in LA? How about that?

Emerald, I'm Korean and I've been here for 6 days... of course I know where the Korean market is. That was taken care of in day 2. :laugh:

I'm debating cable. That might suck the life out of me. Plus, football might be more fun at a sports bar.

i really hope it is a misprint because that seems a little crazy...so are you class of 2010 also?

Junkster said:
Welcome to the fold, Melissa.

You know, I think someone said that it's probably a misprint. Summer break is longer then that in the first year.

Did anyone call Admin about that?

aww thanx so much! wow that sounds a little better haha my brother is a 3rd year there and i remember in his 1st year they were out by may...
emeraldcity said:
Congrats! Welcome to the club!
yes. it's a misprint. We're out second week of June. :D
Well, at least this year's MI's were done by June 12th.

Junkster said:
With the heat, I don't know if I want to drive more than an hour to go to some skin-burning sand with dirty water just to sit there and get burnt to a crisp...

Is there a waterpark somewhere in LA? How about that?

Emerald, I'm Korean and I've been here for 6 days... of course I know where the Korean market is. That was taken care of in day 2. :laugh:

I'm debating cable. That might suck the life out of me. Plus, football might be more fun at a sports bar.

*hahah* dude. I'm down for a waterpark idea.

Sweet. I'm not ever sure if my roomies will let me keep kimchee in the fridge. I might have to buy mini-fridge to store it, 'cuz there's no WAY I can survive school without my rice-cooker and my gi-normous jar of kimchee. :eek: *haha* I know your Korean. which is why I knew you'd already have the quickest route mapped to the nearest Korean-mart.

hmmm football over pitchers sounds perfect. Glad to know I have partners in crime. Well, in the sportsy-beery sense at least. *heh*

can you dsl? or do you not have a landline?

By DSL, I'm assuming internet connection. I'm still looking into that.

I think the neighbor that I'm mooching off of right now has dsl. (I did a speedcheck on it).

There is a place down the block, next to the school called "Sportsbar" but I don't know if it's just a local dive or what. I'm going to have to stop studying for my comlex/usmle for two minutes and go take a look in there.

Junkster said:
By DSL, I'm assuming internet connection. I'm still looking into that.

I think the neighbor that I'm mooching off of right now has dsl. (I did a speedcheck on it).

There is a place down the block, next to the school called "Sportsbar" but I don't know if it's just a local dive or what. I'm going to have to stop studying for my comlex/usmle for two minutes and go take a look in there.

ah. he could have blocked you...
my neighbor has wireless and I've been mooching off him for a year. I don't think he's compu savvy enough to realize that I'm on it... oh well. :)
You and a bumch of ppl should just go in together, set up one main wireless hub or something.

*haha* the "divey-er" the better. So long as there's new black, electrical tape on the bar stools, and greasy heart-burn nachos.

If Uwalum moves in next door, we'll have to go halfsy's on the wifi.

Although, this neighbor dude with the free wifi might have just turned it off earlier today due to the Stage 1 crap that CA is doing to save electricity. Since he hasn't completely shut it off yet, I'm thinking he's not a big computer guy either.

Bah.

Junkster said:
If Uwalum moves in next door, we'll have to go halfsy's on the wifi.

Although, this neighbor dude with the free wifi might have just turned it off earlier today due to the Stage 1 crap that CA is doing to save electricity. Since he hasn't completely shut it off yet, I'm thinking he's not a big computer guy either.

Bah.

*haha* well, nothing beats free wifi.
hopefully, Claremont/Pomona area has plenty of indie coffeehouses with free wifi connection, like a good college town should.
because I will live up to every Seattle stereo-type and be drinking gallons of coffee.

Bleh. heatwaves + power outages = unhappy me.

I don't know whether to be impressed or laugh...

I'm leaning towards laugh.

uwalum said:
Dude, Soak City? Are you kidding me? I am definately in. I'm wearing my thong.

Please, think of the children.... :eek:
*heh*

moose9781 said:
i think raging waters is much closer - and one of the better ones.

http://www.ragingwaters.com/index.cfm

as long as uwalum promises to keep his TRUNKS on. I will take him. but only in the company of others. I cannot allow him to subject the poor children of California to what I assume to be his pale, white, northwest bootie. :D

emeraldcity said:
as long as uwalum promises to keep his TRUNKS on. I will take him. but only in the company of others. I cannot allow him to subject the poor children of California to what I assume to be his pale, white, northwest bootie. :D

ha ha emerald, but guess what? i just went on a vacation to jamiaca! so i dont look too much like a pale seattlelite right now!

I was told by my 'cali sources' that the Six Flags one will be closing soon.

uwalum said:
ha ha emerald, but guess what? i just went on a vacation to jamiaca! so i dont look too much like a pale seattlelite right now!

I do. So maybe I was referring to myself, in hopes to save people from the blinding pale light from my legs :laugh:

Plus I have this attractive farmer's tan action going on. My legs are permanently 5 shades lighter than my arms. *haha*
that's what happens when you sit in the left field bleachers. *oops*
at least the Mariners won ;)

Junkster said:
I was told by my 'cali sources' that the Six Flags one will be closing soon.

Raging Waters it is, then?
moose is right. it looks closer. hmmm student life doesn't have cheap tix available, do they? can we get those?

Hi comp class of 2010!!! I just found out I got in today! whoohoo!!! :laugh:

emeraldcity said:
Raging Waters it is, then?
moose is right. it looks closer. hmmm student life doesn't have cheap tix available, do they? can we get those?

There were rumors about Six Flags closing down to be turned into residential properties or something, but I'm not sure if or when that will happen. In the meantime, Raging Waters is a conveniently close location to cool off these days. There should be discounts for a place like that either at school or through an Entertainment coupon book, etc. Knott's Berry Farm also has some fun rides and is not too far away.

Are any of you looking for extra white coat ceremony tickets? I am not using any of mine.

PM me if interested. I'll be moving down on the 6th and we can arrange a way to meet after that.

EDIT: They've been taken :oops:

I'll probably have one tix left, possibly two.

*WHOO!*
Starting my drive tomorrow! See you guys in a couple days!

wow. is convocation/white coat really such a big deal?
I feel slightly weird not caring too much about it, when people are willing to pay to have extra tix...

I had to actually ask one of my parental units to fly out... I'm paying for the flight.

My parents are the worst Korean parents ever.

On that note... yes, it does seem weird that some people make such a big deal of this. My mom's response was "So they give you a white coat? It's not like you've graduated yet." And my dad's was "That's the least they can do if your paying close to 40k a year for school."

I also have an extra ticket, I guess.

totoro723 said:
Hi comp class of 2010!!! I just found out I got in today! whoohoo!!! :laugh:

Talk about making you sweat it out until the last minute, but CONGRATS! Welcome :)

See you guys all really soon! I suppose I should start packing :laugh: I'm leaving here on Friday!

NWT people, I saw Dirk Foley the other day, apparently there's some dinner during orientation week?