Community service/involvment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rekesk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a specific amount of volunteer hours or shadowing hours that a podiatric school is looking for in an applicant?

Reason I ask is because if I were to consider podiatric school (or heck, dental) I 'd have to get out and volunteer, as I havent done enough in the past 2 years due to research related activities.

Members don't see this ad.

Meh research should count for something. I havn't volunteered since high school (I find shadowing more helpful), but right now I'm working with the National Park Service so that might be helpful. Wish I could volunteer more, but I've got bills to pay

rekesk said:
Is there a specific amount of volunteer hours or shadowing hours that a podiatric school is looking for in an applicant?

Reason I ask is because if I were to consider podiatric school (or heck, dental) I 'd have to get out and volunteer, as I havent done enough in the past 2 years due to research related activities.

You should be fine. If you only have a certain amount of time to spend, use it wisely and shadow at least two different DPM's for a considerable time. Also, just to go out on a limb, shadow a dentist just for comparision, since you mentioned it as an option. Do what interests you and feels like the best match.

Members don't see this ad :)
as far as volunteering goes...

I wouldn't do anything just because it looks good on an application. It has to be something that you are truely interested in.

Even if you get paid for your services if it is helping the community it is fine. volunteering is great but not everyone is always in a situation to give.

In addition to what others have said, you need to shadow enough so you can get a LOR from a DPM.