comments about UHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TP

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to UHS and it seems that most likely that i'll be attending there. I would like to hear any comments that anybody have concerning UHS? For instance what do you like most about it and what did you find most disturbing, etc. Also, write/ introduce yourself if you're going to be attending next fall.

Members don't see this ad.

The school and the students seem very nice. Also, KC is a great location for me, but the neighborhood bothers me. (Maybe just because I'm from a small rural town.) Right now the UHS is my first choice. I'm still waiting for an interview.

To me UHS is the best place to be. I am impressed with the assertiveness of the new president. They are spending 2M on renovating their academic programs and intertwining research into the school. I want to continue medical research (been a scientist 14 years), thus this school already has some great offers I can't pass up. On the flip side, my husband will have NO problem securing a well paying job which is important since I will be taking out loans/applying for scholarships. Kansas City is an affordable place to live and although the school may not be in the prettiest section, the intense security (guard monitored parking lots and buildings) 24hr/d make the school VERY safe. In addition, the faulty are very dedicated to helping students, most clinical faculty are active clinicians practicing medicine, and allow you the chance of a first year preceptorship. All this coupled with YOUR choice of where to do internships makes this school very appealing.

Good Luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions.
smile.gif
Diane
UHS-COM 2003

[This message has been edited by Diane E (edited 01-08-99).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 2nd year student at UHS and can highly recommend the school. The
faculty and administration are terrific...very eager to help in any way
needed and I think we have an especially strong OMT department. Also, we
do quite well on the boards (according to an official from the NBOME who
lectured here today). It's true that we're not located in the best part
of town (it's actually one of the poorest areas), but personal safety has
never been an issue. A few people have had their cars broken into, but
security has been beefed up, so that shouldn't a problem now. But don't
let our location fool you...our facilities are state of the art. Let me
know if you have any specific questions.

I am a first year student here at UHS, and I do enjoy the school. There appears to be genuine interest in improving the physical qualities of the campus and hiring top notch professors. As with any school, you may find that some professors seem to want to push you as far as they can, and added with the small school atmosphere, you kinda feel like they are always watching you. It was a bit of a shock coming from a large university, and feeling like I was in a small, small school environment again. But you adapt. I also feel there is significant peer pressure, which came as a surprise. It can be a plus or a minus, depending on the maturity level. Either way, UHS has been a positive experience so far...but I have to say I look forward to being a third year.

thanks

Does anyone know when UHS stops interviewing? My secondary was received early Jan. What's my chance?
Thanks for replying.