Coming back to study for EPPP after time away.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngharold1984

Reaction score
Hello fellow-SDNers, I graduated with my Ph.D. in school psychology over 5 years ago, and took some time away from the field to deal with personal matters. I now feel ready to get licensed and pursue a career in the mental health field. Given that I have been out of school for a good time, will be coming from a school psych. background, and have not been exactly involved in clinical services in the meantime, I am concerned in my preparation for the EPPP. Am I at a disadvantage already? And would preparing using exam prep materials be enough? Or should I seek out more clinical-psych heavy graduate school material to get a better basis, given that the exam seems to cater towards Clinical Psychology material? Trying to learn a whole new curriculum seems daunting, but part of me feels it might better my chances. Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the EPPP pass rate of your grad program? That would give us a good baseline of your education/training prior to the leave.

I think licensing boards are going to have more of an issue with not having any clinical experience for more than 5 years, and no unsupervised experience at all given that time frame.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in a similar situation- took EPPP about 7-8 years after graduating. I worked in a clinical psych adjacent field, but nothing that would help on the EPPP (not sure any work experience would really help, outside of stats related stuff). For the the 3-4 weeks prior to the exam, I hunkered down with some prep materials, studied, and took practice exams until I could reliably score at 90%. Passed the exam and then forget most of what I studied before I reached my car in the exam center parking lot. I'm a pretty good test taker and and pretty good with rememberin' useless facts and formulas stuff when I need to. If you're not, it make take more than a few weeks studying. Aim to be able to pass 2-3 practice exams at 90% in the 4-5 days before the exam.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I think licensing boards are going to have more of an issue with not having any clinical experience for more than 5 years, and no unsupervised experience at all given that time frame.
I live in a state that does not require post doctoral hours in order to sit for the exam. Pass rate from my program is around 95% I think, though I am just a worrier in general.

I think your step 1 is to take a practice exam and see where you are at. That's a nice, actionable first step. Then hunker down and study hard until you get to the results ClinicalABA mentioned.

I think your step 1 is to take a practice exam and see where you are at. That's a nice, actionable first step. Then hunker down and study hard until you get to the results ClinicalABA mentioned.
Are you a school psychologist? Did you just use exam prep materials?

Are you a school psychologist? Did you just use exam prep materials?

Yes I am a school psychologist. I started with hand me down old exams that circulated informally through my program. My post doc got me a subscription to Academic Review and I hit that hard.

With the time away, I'd go with Academic Review or one of its competitors so you have a nice structured approach to what you study. I did one practice test to see which domains I needed to focus on, then did flash cards + domain quizzes from there.