Combine Residency/Fellowship programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason26

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about how I could find a listing of these so called "fast track programs" that combine IM with a subspecialty so that you're guaranteed a fellowship from the outset. I'm not sure if they're listed in the green book. I'm interested in combined IM/Gastroenterology programs. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Very, VERY rare and difficult given how difficult it is to get fellowship in GI. You have to look at each institution's "research track" and call up each program you are interested and ask whether or not GI is an available option. In my institution, for example, fast-track residents comprised of 20% of each resident class, but none are tracking to GI, or even cards, for that matter. Unless you just got massive GI research experience under your belt, I wouldn't count on it.

Your best bet is to go to a residency program with good reputation, and try to apply to GI from it. It's an extremely hard subspecialty to get.