combine heme/onc and IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dharmabum7

Allergy Imm Attending
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard there are combined programs in heme/onc and IM for residency? If so, where are such programs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is referred to as short-tracking. Typically one does 2 years of IM clinical requirements in the program and enters into sub-specialty training one year early. The 2 years of IM is followed by 1-2 years of clinical work depending on the specialty followed by 2-3 years of research. Most programs you can apply to short-track during your PGY1 year with a couple that will allow you to apply as entering residency. Hope this helps.

Probably easier to short track if you just want onc.

My understanding is that this type of program is termed "fast-tracking" - One does 2 years IM, 2 years of research and then 2 clinical years in their chosen sub-specialty. From what I have been able to gather, these programs are generally filled by MD/PhD's or other people who have a significant amount of research - They are great programs if you can get them and, indeed, one can get NIH funding during the 2 years of research (35K/year) to help pay off medical school debt, thus mitigating some of the financial burden faced when going into academic medicine.

Best of luck for those of you who go this way!

Airborne

PS - do a search on "fast-tracking" to review the many previous threads in this area.