Columbia vs Penn (Dean's Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which School?

• Total voters

tumbleweedjr

Reaction score
School 1: Columbia
Pros:
  • P/F grading
  • unranked
  • Integrated medical curriculum to provide base of knowledge for CBSE (am interested in OMFS)
  • NYC (change of scenery from Philadelphia, where I currently attend undergrad.)
Cons:
  • Will be at least 160k more expensive due to higher cost of living and no scholarships
  • slightly farther from home
School 2: Penn
Pros:
  • Closer to home (1 hr from home)
  • 40k Dean's Scholarship/yr (160k over 4 yrs)
Cons:
  • GPA system
  • Ranking for top 10, unranked past 11th
  • No medical curriculum --> more self studying for CBSE
Summary: I'm really torn on what to choose. I was initially set on Columbia, but I recently was notified that I am receiving 40k/yr Dean's Scholarship for Penn. Columbia is attractive because of the P/F and integrated med curriculum which I heard helps for the CBSE. With Penn, I would need to push for a high GPA while also studying for the CBSE which would probably be harder than if I had the medical curriculum from Columbia. However, 160k is not an insignificant amount, especially when considering interest over time.
I think if money were not a concern, I would choose Columbia without a second thought. However, Penn is offering a cheaper alternative, but I will need to grind more in school to have a high GPA, and study more for the CBSE. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Pros:
  • P/F grading
  • unranked
  • Integrated medical curriculum to provide base of knowledge for CBSE (am interested in OMFS)
  • NYC (change of scenery from Philadelphia, where I currently attend undergrad.)
Cons:
  • Will be at least 160k more expensive due to higher cost of living and no scholarships
Pros:
Cons:
  • GPA system
Summary: I'm really torn on what to choose. I was initially set on Columbia, but I recently was notified that I am receiving 40k/yr Dean's Scholarship for Penn. Columbia is attractive because of the P/F and integrated med curriculum which I heard helps for the CBSE. With Penn, I would need to push for a high GPA while also studying for the CBSE which would probably be harder than if I had the medical curriculum from Columbia. However, 160k is not an insignificant amount, especially when considering interest over time.
I think if money were not a concern, I would choose Columbia without a second thought. However, Penn is offering a cheaper alternative, but I will need to grind more in school to have a high GPA, and study more for the CBSE. Thoughts?
cheaper

Pros:
  • P/F grading
  • unranked
Cons:
Pros:
Cons:
  • GPA system
These types of choices depend on your own priorities and goals. If maintaining a high GPA and receiving a scholarship takes more priority then the Dean's scholarship at Penn may be a better choice. As well as the P/F curriculum at Columbia is more appealing. But before taking any decision it's better to weigh the pros and cons from both sides. Still, Penn seems to be the better choice by looking at the financial concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got offered the $40k/year scholarship from Penn and turned it down to attend Columbia! I felt the same way as you.. cost was the only major downside of CDM compared to Penn. But I would say figure out a financial plan to deal with the extra cost and choose Columbia!

As someone who goes to Columbia, I wouldn't have come here unless I was 100% sure I wanted to do OMFS.

I went to Penn and am doing OMFS. Definitely go to Penn if it’s 160k cheaper. Tons of people do OMFS from Penn. My class had 16.

Reactions: 1 user
I also got offered the $40k/year scholarship from Penn and turned it down to attend Columbia! I felt the same way as you.. cost was the only major downside of CDM compared to Penn. But I would say figure out a financial plan to deal with the extra cost and choose Columbia!
Um…..can you ask for the Scholarship back? Idk why you did that.

Columbia without question. P/F is invaluable. You will be so much less stressed without the worries of class rank and gpa. You also will have more time to focus on stuff like research and outreach which you will need to be competitive for OMFS. Or use that free time for something totally unrelated to dental school (hobbies, etc. things that actually make you happy) Also higher CBSE scores due to medical curriculum means less studying for CBSE --> even more free time and less stress. In my eyes, these are worth WAY more than $160k.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Columbia without question. P/F is invaluable. You will be so much less stressed without the worries of class rank and gpa. You also will have more time to focus on stuff like research and outreach which you will need to be competitive for OMFS. Or use that free time for something totally unrelated to dental school (hobbies, etc. things that actually make you happy) Also higher CBSE scores due to medical curriculum means less studying for CBSE --> even more free time and less stress. In my eyes, these are worth WAY more than $160k.
Your CBSE score is compared to your classmates when you apply. A program isn't going to interview 12 people from Columbia, so even though the medical curriculum helps you, you're going to have to have a higher score relative to your classmates if you want to get interviews.

People from Penn match at all the same programs as people from Columbia. Go to the cheaper of the two.

Penn without a doubt. Very similar schools, not only will you be getting $160k from Penn but also cost of living is a lot less in Philly vs. NYC. Most students in my class that matched into OMFS did not seem to have issues simultaneously studying for the CBSE and our coursework. P/F is great and all but don't think it's worth $160k lol.

Both schools will give you a good enough education and if you end up changing your mind about OMFS you'll definitely get a much better clinical experience at Penn. I eliminated Columbia from my options solely because the cost did not seem worth it at all. I'm graduating from Penn in May and don't have any regrets tbh.