Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I read somewhere at Columbia doesnt accept AP credits for prereqs...but I havent heard anything from them saying that there's a problem with my courses? Does this mean that I"m ok???

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone sent in a deposit of some sort? I haven't read anywhere to send one in! If any one knows, please post.

Turtle48 said:
Has anyone sent in a deposit of some sort? I haven't read anywhere to send one in! If any one knows, please post.

I'm assuming you're talking about housing?? They will be requesting that deposit soon, I think. Going by that little checklist they keep sending, that's the last thing on the list for us to do to finalize our housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
tedrik said:
I'm assuming you're talking about housing?? They will be requesting that deposit soon, I think. Going by that little checklist they keep sending, that's the last thing on the list for us to do to finalize our housing.

I'm assuming the housing deposit is sent in after we sign the housing contract they send us...I have not received the contract yet. I was talking more along the lines of a deposit for our spot in the class after we've chosen to matriculate. Did you send a deposit for that?

Turtle48 said:
I'm assuming the housing deposit is sent in after we sign the housing contract they send us...I have not received the contract yet. I was talking more along the lines of a deposit for our spot in the class after we've chosen to matriculate. Did you send a deposit for that?

There has been no request for a deposit yet. I spoke with the admissions office a few weeks ago regarding this.

Thanks Margerita for the info on deposits.

I'm having a minor catastrophe...I have my H&P +immunizations appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning and I just noticed that THREE shots are needed for the HepB vaccine--all of which have to be given in 1-2 or 3-4 month intervals! Do we have to have all of the three shots before we enroll this August?? I can get the 1st tomorrow and the 2nd in a month, but there's no way to squeeze in the third + the post-immunization titer before schools starts. Does anyone know if all three shots are needed before we enroll? Does this mean I can't come? :(

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has never gotten the HepB vaccine until now.

Turtle48 said:
Thanks Margerita for the info on deposits.

I'm having a minor catastrophe...I have my H&P +immunizations appointment with my doctor tomorrow morning and I just noticed that THREE shots are needed for the HepB vaccine--all of which have to be given in 1-2 or 3-4 month intervals! Do we have to have all of the three shots before we enroll this August?? I can get the 1st tomorrow and the 2nd in a month, but there's no way to squeeze in the third + the post-immunization titer before schools starts. Does anyone know if all three shots are needed before we enroll? Does this mean I can't come? :(

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has never gotten the HepB vaccine until now.

I wouldn't worry about it. just call health services tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

I was going to call tomorrow, but was hoping someone on SDN knew for sure or was in the same boat as I am. It does make me feel better to hear you say that I shouldn't worry about it, though...

Relax, I had to go through the same thing when I started lifeguarding in high school. As long as you start the vaccine sequence before school starts you should be fine. You may (probably) have to provide health services with documentation that you completed all 3, but as long as you start it before you enroll you should have no problems.

I am 99.99% sure of this.

Thanks Lemmiwinks. BTW, do all of you already have HepB vaccinations (before they were required for med school)? If so, why did you get the shots? I don't remember ever having to get them for college or other activities.

Turtle48 said:
Thanks Lemmiwinks. BTW, do all of you already have HepB vaccinations (before they were required for med school)? If so, why did you get the shots? I don't remember ever having to get them for college or other activities.

EMT requirements

Turtle48 said:
BTW, do all of you already have HepB vaccinations (before they were required for med school)?

Luckily I had to get those shots for a volunteering thing, but when did they ever mention getting immunized? I don't remember reading anything about them being required for med school.

Sorry if this is a ******ed question, which I'm sure it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a list of immunizations--measles, mumps, rubella (which I'm sure we all already have), PPD, hepatitis, and the optional meningitis--in the blue/white health services booklet that came with our acceptance package. The booklet also contained the health history forms that we have to fill out and send back.

Thanks Turtle48, I need to start opening my mail. I didn't know we needed to get a physical too! :eek:

tedrik said:
Thanks Turtle48, I need to start opening my mail. I didn't know we needed to get a physical too! :eek:

This reminds me - I had no health insurance during this time (ironic huh?). They accept physicals from up to 1 yr prior, I think. At least they acepted mine.

BTW, one of the first packets of mail went out today for you guys.

bonnie

What's in the new mailing that was sent out today? I enjoy getting mail from P&S...cheesy huh? Do we find out who our advisor is? BTW, is that randomly assigned?

Turtle48 said:
There's a list of immunizations--measles, mumps, rubella (which I'm sure we all already have), PPD, hepatitis, and the optional meningitis--in the blue/white health services booklet that came with our acceptance package. The booklet also contained the health history forms that we have to fill out and send back.

don't worry -- the immunizations will not keep you back. you should definitely call health services and set something up. i had hepB already for a previous hospital job, but when i got my physical they ran a blood test and i found out that i wasn't immune to mumps (who knew? apparently some of the MMRs from back in my day weren't good)...so i had to the same thing and get it done in the summer before school. call them, set it up, come in...it will all work out. just don't freak out about it, it really will be fine.
i was able to get a new vaccine and not only did they let me start school--i also didn't contract measles, mumps ruebella OR Hep ;)

best of luck.
(i don't know what was in the mailing or i'd tell you and i also don't know how they assign advisors. we had lunches with them every other week or so for first year, as far as i could tell the assignment was random.)

Thanks Noami. I'll contact them and set something up.
P.S. I, too, am a huge laptop person--I thought I was the only one with a laptop permanently attached to my body. Wireless was the best invention in the world.

mailing has a bunch of info about P&S, setting up email. and most importantly a letter from me. haha. j/k. there is a letter from me, but it just says hello and is about Orientation.

bonnie

missbonnie said:
mailing has a bunch of info about P&S, setting up email. and most importantly a letter from me. haha. j/k. there is a letter from me, but it just says hello and is about Orientation.

bonnie

check out http://ps2008.com

The Remix said:
Unless of course they're playing the Red Sox :D

BLASPHEMY! :eek:

Red Sox = :thumbdown:

Please note: I *will* give you hell if you wear a Sox hat or shirt to class

does anyone know what penalties are involved if you break contract and move off campus from the towers or bard before your contract is up? i assume this is during the semester, or year.

You'll get a mailing about housing next month. If you choose to move out of Bard, the earlier you do it, the better. Remember, your contract is on a semester basis. I'd recommend trying out Bard for a semester and then seeing what your options are come December.

so you're saying that the fee to break contract increases as the semester goes on?

wei_i said:
so you're saying that the fee to break contract increases as the semester goes on?

I think that JulianCrane is saying that you should live in Bard for the first semester and if you don't like it, then you dont have to sign the new contract that will come up for the second semester. So you can start living in a new place (like the towers) in January without breaking any contract.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks exactly what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.

JulianCrane said:
Thanks exactly what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.

Omar, I'm gonna have to differ. :p

I moved into Tower III mid-semester, and I was refunded the rest of my room rate in Bard, as well as pro-rated for my room in the Towers. No money lost.

SarahGM said:
Omar, I'm gonna have to differ. :p

I moved into Tower III mid-semester, and I was refunded the rest of my room rate in Bard, as well as pro-rated for my room in the Towers. No money lost.

I was talking about moving from Bard to off campus. ;)

are there any newer apartment around CUMC? if so, how much is the rent on average? also, do the med students go the undergrad lib to study?

JulianCrane said:
I was talking about moving from Bard to off campus. ;)

OntheRoof55 said:
also, do the med students go the undergrad lib to study?

I have a question that borders on this one...how do the med students normally get back to bard or the towers after studying at the undergrad lib if they end up leaving very late into the night (midnight or later)? I think I read somewhere that the shuttle between uptown and morningside only runs until 6 PM.

Also, a completely different question: what do most students do the summer after their first year? of the ones that do research, do the majority of students tend to do clinical or bench research? how are research projects arranged (ie. do you apply for them)? The reason I ask about research is because we have to fill out a research questionnaire and return to office of student affairs.

Turtle48 said:
I have a question that borders on this one...how do the med students normally get back to bard or the towers after studying at the undergrad lib if they end up leaving very late into the night (midnight or later)? I think I read somewhere that the shuttle between uptown and morningside only runs until 6 PM.

Also, a completely different question: what do most students do the summer after their first year? of the ones that do research, do the majority of students tend to do clinical or bench research? how are research projects arranged (ie. do you apply for them)? The reason I ask about research is because we have to fill out a research questionnaire and return to office of student affairs.

To answer some questions:
1. If you are interested in apartments around P&S, keep checking newyork.craigslist.com for properties. NO FEE apartments are the way to go if you can find them. Otherwise, plan on paying hefty broker's fees.

2. Many med students study down at the undergrad campus. The shuttle schedule between both campuses is online, and it runs way beyond 6pm. No need to worry about that.

3. A lot of people in my class are spending the summer doing both clinical and basic science research. However, it is by no means compulsory that you do so. I am adhering to Dean Lewis' advice and enjoying my so-called last summer by exploring the city and working as an MCAT teacher. Others are traveling and simply enjoying life. It is very easy to get involved in research. You can contact potential mentors by looking in the back of the student handbook and arranging a meeting. P&S does provide funding for this to occur, given that you write an approved research proposal. But there's no reason to worry about that now. Just focus on doing your best first year.

Can't wait to see you guys in August. Some of you might be in my orientation group. :D

I think that JulianCrane is saying that you should live in Bard for the first semester and if you don't like it, then you dont have to sign the new contract that will come up for the second semester. So you can start living in a new place (like the towers) in January without breaking any contract.

what i was actually trying to find out is what if you want to break contract and move out halfway through the semester, like in october or november, and not into a tower? in that case, you're not moving within the health sciences housing system, and i think there is probably some sort of fee involved.

thanks for anyone who can help with this. i've tried calling the housing office numerous times, but no one ever picks up, and they don't seem to have an answering machine or email address.

Hey Columbia kids- I'm a pre-med reject on the second try currently, but my boyfriend will be jetting across the country to live in Bard Hall this fall. You all best be nice to him :) Not that I have any reason to believe you are any thing other than really cool- that was his impression of the people at his interview. Oh, and he'll have just turned a youthful 23 upon arrival in the scariness of 168th st. Hopefully I'll get to come out and visit a few times!

JulianCrane said:
168th Street is NOT scary. Come on people!

Agreed. Just because there's not a Starbucks doesn't mean it's dangerous. My husband and I just walked down it at 12:30 in the morning and it was full of people.

Anybody else get the email today about required summer reading? We're asked to read a book called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman. About 10 bucks on amazon and it's got 4.5 stars. Anyone ever heard of it? Care to comment on it?

eriol said:
Anybody else get the email today about required summer reading? We're asked to read a book called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, by Anne Fadiman. About 10 bucks on amazon and it's got 4.5 stars. Anyone ever heard of it? Care to comment on it?

We (2008ers) read the same book before school last summer. You'll talk about it in September or October during one of your Clinical Practice small group sessions, if they set it up like they did for us. It's really interesting (at least I thought). If you do a search on allo you should come up with last year's discussion about it. It's some good food for thought...

Has anyone been able to activate their email accounts? (after receiving the email info among other stuff in the packet last week)

Turtle48 said:
Has anyone been able to activate their email accounts? (after receiving the email info among other stuff in the packet last week)

i think we have to register first, which is during orientation. I was SO excited until I realized I didn't have a UNI yet, hehehe.

aprilshyla said:
I was SO excited until I realized I didn't have a UNI yet, hehehe.

Yeah me too! ...gotta get to the bookstore to buy that book! Hopefully we'll be getting our housing assignments soon. They said we'd get our official contracts in June.

is everyone staying in bard?

Turtle48 said:
Yeah me too! ...gotta get to the bookstore to buy that book! Hopefully we'll be getting our housing assignments soon. They said we'd get our official contracts in June.

Hey Ontheroof--I'm staying in Bard.

To all of you current P&S students: do any students live in Bard all 4 years? Is it possible to do that or is it mandatory to move into the Towers after first year? The housing info I got was vague in terms of what happens after first year...

My question is why would you want to stay in Bard for 4 years?!!

Turtle48 said:

To all of you current P&S students: do any students live in Bard all 4 years? Is it possible to do that or is it mandatory to move into the Towers after first year? The housing info I got was vague in terms of what happens after first year...

Is Columbia like Stanford? Does the FA consider you an independent after age 30?

Turtle48 said:

You can definitely live in Bard all 4 years if you want. I think you might actually get room preference, too. Some people are doing this to save money. Others are doing this as RA's -- which gives you free housing and some benefits, I think.

hey guys, just a couple of comments:
most people move out of bard after a year or so, but there is one infamous 4th year (actually fifth year after a year of research) who has lived in the tiniest room in bard forever. the reason? damn cheap. not something i'd probably do (i'm moving into bard to be an RA--for the benefits and the opportunity to meet all of you), but definitely economical.

168th isn't the best neighborhood, but it also isn't the worst. as with any city neighborhood you need to be aware of where you are, etc. and if you really need a starbucks there's one at 181st.

as far as email i know i set up my account before orientation (i think i did it sometime in may or june) so if you're eager to get an ID you don't really have to wait...i'll see if i can dig up how that's done.
---edit-- :idea:
let me know if this doesn't work, i just found these links for activating a new account on cubmail:

try this link to find your UNI
http://www.columbia.edu/acis/tools/index.html

and then follow the activate new account link and agree to give up your first born, etc.
https://www1.columbia.edu/sec/acis/manageaccount/agree1.html

----end edit---

hope you're all enjoying the summer -- i know i am (one word: bonnaroo).
see you in august!
n