college policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering about the validity of my community college's "academic renewal" policy? I began college years ago, and quite
honestly, I was not really ready, or did not want to be there at the time, and subsequently received substandard grades, for my first two semesters. Since returning, have completed three semesters with a cum. 3.5 GPA. These classes were mostly science (gen.chem.,microbio.,cell bio.,and coll.algebra,+ some english.) Now, I attend a public 2yr. California accredited college, and they have an academic renewal policy, that says I can have all substandard grades put in [brackets] on my transcript, and they will not be calculated into my GPA. I am looking at UCal. schools to transfer to and have contacted one that said it agreed with my Junior colleges policy, and would honor that, but what about med. schools, will this slip haunt me forever?

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect your responses will be highly variable, and unique to each medical school. You will be asked about such calculations by most schools, and definitely be honest.
Don't ever make excuses, but say "I'm now more mature and driven... I'm excited about medicine and thrilled about my career choice." Turn it into a positive... you can't go wrong.
Congradulations on your new grades... keep it up!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net