CNS fellowship vs Neurohospitalist. Job market for CA metros

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taobibebi

taobibebi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. PGY-2 Neuro resident here and I have a question regarding my career goal. I'm between going straight to work after residency vs doing a CNS fellowship. I enjoyed both inpatient and outpatient but I don't enjoy outpatient so much that I want to dedicate another year of my life to fellowship. I know I know it's only one year but if the market is good for neurohospitalist/general neurology then why waste another year right? Haha.

So that bring us to my second question: "How is the job market for neurohospitalist/general neurology in CA, especially in Socal?". I have strong family ties in Socal (especially in LA, Inland empire, SD) and Cali so I would like to stay back home if possible. I saw a couple of postings for neurohospitalist at academic centers and Kaiser but unsure if they are ok with new grads. I saw Kaiser posted some general neurology jobs but they didn't say subspecialty preferred or required so does that mean they are ok without fellowship? Most other private practice jobs said CNS fellowship preferred so I might not be as competitive for those positions. Would love to have inputs from anyone familiar with CA's job market. I don't mind working hard, just want to be fairly compensated ( around 300k is plenty for me).

Little background on my residency training: I'm training at a very busy comprehensive stroke center, consult service only. So many vascular cases to the point that a vascular fellowship seems like a waste of time haha. Not a lot of EMG/NCS exposure though so I definitely need a fellowship to do them properly

TLDR: How hot is the job market in CA, especially LA, IE, SD, San Fernando, Santa Clarita? The answer will help me determine fellowship vs no fellowship

Thank you for your time! I just want to make attending's money already loll tired of living paycheck to paycheck with resident's salary haha

Members don't see this ad.