Cme audit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Attending1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My laptop crashed and I can’t recover anything. Unfortunately this is where I kept my cme record in a folder on my desktop. Dumb for not backing it up. I’ve had my my license since 2016 and my state requirement is 60 credits every three years. Next year is an audit year. I could recover 36 credits from this last year online but the rest I can’t. I can just start doing a ton of cme to make them up but since they will all be from this year forward will I still be fined or reprimanded?

Members don't see this ad.

My state board says it was. I passed my boards in 2016 does that count for cme?

Members don't see this ad :)
Crashed in what way?

Data can almost always be recovered unless it's been physically destroyed. First line tech support won't be able to help, but I would wager you can get it back.

Reactions: 2 users
I passed my boards in 2016 does that count for cme?
Since that was more than 3 years ago and you are in a 3 year cycle, I would guess not. But that's going to depend on the state.

Since that was more than 3 years ago and you are in a 3 year cycle, I would guess not. But that's going to depend on the state.
Yeah I have my cme up to date for the current three year cycle it’s the previous 2016-2019 that I lost my records. How far do audits go back?

Crashed in what way?

Data can almost always be recovered unless it's been physically destroyed. First line tech support won't be able to help, but I would wager you can get it back.
It’s a long story but no I can’t

It sounds like you are willing to redo the CME if you have to. If it were me, I would contact my state medical board, explain the situation, and ask them what you should do. The worst they are going to tell you is to redo all the credits like you plan to do anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like you are willing to redo the CME if you have to. If it were me, I would contact my state medical board, explain the situation, and ask them what you should do. The worst they are going to tell you is to redo all the credits like you plan to do anyway.
I actually did and they were really unkind and unhelpful. I recovered two thirds of what I need and I’m hoping I can recover the rest by contacting the place I got the credits through. I also found out if you fill out a form and pay the ama 30 dollars they will issue you 60 credits for passing the boards so I could do that too.

Reactions: 3 users
Interesting, I believe some states will waive several years of CME requirements if you passed a board exam. I guess if you have already asked your board though then they are not as generous.

For anyone that cares I was able to get my cme verification reissued by finding my receipts and contacting the cme companies. I’m relieved and will keep better track going forward.

Reactions: 1 users
What state is this? I recently board certified as well and all that and I completely thought it was just random audits, I did not realize you specifically submit them

What state is this? I recently board certified as well and all that and I completely thought it was just random audits, I did not realize you specifically submit them
It is random audits. But if you get audited and have no proof of your cme you are penalized.

Off topic. Can the same CME credits be used for board certification and state licensing?