clinical vs lab(bench) summer research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabemd912

WannbeMD912
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a traditional premed student (a rising senior) with a major biology and minors in chemistry and art. I'm also taking year off to hopefull participate in the NIH academy. I was accepted to participate in two summer research opportunities. One is the Cornell (the med school) Travellers Summer Research Fellowship and the other is the Delaware State University's SR-EIP program sponsored by Leadership Alliance. At Cornell I 'll be doing clinical research (data anaylsis ) and lots of shadowing while at Delaware it's microbiology research, not directly related to medicine.

So I guess my questions are:
1. what role does the name/reputation of an institution play when making these kinds of desions?
2. Is there a preference for laboratory or clincal research experience when your application is being reviewed for med school.
3.Do you think I'll be hurting my chances of getting into the NIH Academy by going for clinical research?
4. Any other advice that you have to offer.
Thanks!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Im just a first year and dont know much about what adcoms think.....but I would go for the clinical research. It is more applicable to what you will be doing. As far as prestige goes, Im sure most adcoms might say it doesnt matter, but all of this stuff is subjective, so of course the prestige of the place will help a little....but go with whichever you want to do more because what you get out of it will vary depending on your own preferences. For me, I would never do bench work and I would find it hard to sound enthusiastic when describing my research to an adcom.

1. what role does the name/reputation of an institution play when making these kinds of desions?

Attend whichever program YOU think will be the best for you from an overall experience perspective.

If I had ot make the choice, I would choose the one at Cornell. Either one would serve you well in terms of gaining experience. You might be able to develop a wider network by going to Cornell though. If you understand what I mean.

2. Is there a preference for laboratory or clincal research experience when your application is being reviewed for med school.

Just be sure that you can explain the research you did, why the project was initiated and your role in the study. As you participate in research, either you grow in a research project at one institution and assume more responsibilities over time in that project and learn progressively more involved techniques or you do somethign different each summer and learn different techniques and develop a solid network and pool of LOR writers that way. Either way should help you achieve your goal of matriculating to medical school.

3.Do you think I'll be hurting my chances of getting into the NIH Academy by going for clinical research?

No, not at all.

If the bug hasn't come to you yet, consider looking at the MD/PHD route.

Good luck and keep us abreast of how things go for you.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
1. The bigger name school is generally better but working with someone highly regarded in the field for thier respective work is more important. For the most part, bigger researchers (clinical of bench) are at bigger name schools.

2. Any research expereince is good but basic science is more respected than clinical, basically because it requires greater depth of knowledge. The biggest boost to your application in regards to research is having publications.

3.Don't know what that is so no comment.

4. If you dont have a strong prefernce for either of the research topics themselves, i would go with the project that you think will give the greatest opportunity for a publication. If you are only going to be working for a short period, it may be easier to do this with the clinical research project.

I would go with the basic science research which tends to give more "clout" in the research arena. That said, if you are NOT 100% sure that you would be enjoying the bench research do not do it.

I didn't do any research while in undergrad, but I did work in the sciences after college. it should count for something

I am a traditional premed student (a rising senior) with a major biology and minors in chemistry and art. I'm also taking year off to hopefull participate in the NIH academy. I was accepted to participate in two summer research opportunities. One is the Cornell (the med school) Travellers Summer Research Fellowship and the other is the Delaware State University's SR-EIP program sponsored by Leadership Alliance. At Cornell I 'll be doing clinical research (data anaylsis ) and lots of shadowing while at Delaware it's microbiology research, not directly related to medicine.

I think you should do whichever one you find more interesting. Don't worry about impressing adcoms; you can't ever predict what will impress someone, so don't waste your time trying. (One of my med school acceptance letters actually mentioned that my having run two marathons impressed them. With all the things I've done that are research and medicine-related, THAT is what they mentioned. :laugh: ) Also, if you can get your name on a paper and/or do a poster presentation at a research meeting, that's a huge plus for you at the UG level. Whatever you decide to do, really give it your all and get as much as you can from the experience. And practice giving a 2-3 minute spiel about your research to people who are not in the field. You'll be doing that at every interview, I can promise you that. ;)

Best of luck to you. :)

Thanks for all the advice! I 'm going for the clinical research!