Clinical Research/ Basic science publishing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulsight5000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have 3 questions:

1. I'm taking a year off before medical school, and have had some experience in conducting basic research; I'd like to get some clinical research done during that time.
What responsibilities could I have (I have a BS), and how should I go about getting a clinical research job?
I live in MA close to all of the Harvard institutions :).

2. I'm currently doing an Honors thesis, and have already found some interesting data, i.e. a very significant peak in a QTL analysis. How would I go about getting it published?
I've already done a poster on it, but would like to maybe submit an abstract to a research conference... or ideally, get it published in a journal. One of the posts on the forum describes the different publication types... but not how to get them.

3. Would it be an absolutely ridiculous idea to try to write a review article to get a publication? :)

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have 3 questions:

1. I'm taking a year off before medical school, and have had some experience in conducting basic research; I'd like to get some clinical research done during that time.
What responsibilities could I have (I have a BS), and how should I go about getting a clinical research job?
I live in MA close to all of the Harvard institutions :).

2. I'm currently doing an Honors thesis, and have already found some interesting data, i.e. a very significant peak in a QTL analysis. How would I go about getting it published?
I've already done a poster on it, but would like to maybe submit an abstract to a research conference... or ideally, get it published in a journal. One of the posts on the forum describes the different publication types... but not how to get them.

3. Would it be an absolutely ridiculous idea to try to write a review article to get a publication? :)

Thanks for your help!

1. Just look at the faculty directory on the website of the schools. Pick some that look interesting and email/call.

2. Pick a journal that publishes that type of research. Look at the journal or their website and find the "Instructions to Authors" section. It will be detailed there. Most journals have an electronic submission mechanism.

3. If you haven't published in the area fairly extensively it's a really long shot.