Client attachments to diagnoses/concepts like "narcissism"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1138596

I'm of two minds on "Tik Tok mental health discourse." On the one hand, it's great that people are talking about mental health; on the other hand, there's a lot of work to be done in the room with clients when it comes to exploring their attachments to diagnostic labels and concepts. "CPTSD" and "trauma" are huge these days, and so are concepts like "narcissism." I've been finding that a lot of clients (especially younger millennials) really over-identify with these concepts, to the point that they begin to externalize control, accountability, etc.

It's a lot of work to decouple some of this stuff with clients, especially since poking at these labels tends to bring up a lot of stuff for them.

Is there any research written about this phenomenon in the clinical literature? Would love to hear any thoughts from other clinicians if you've run into this in your own work.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked around a year ago when everyone and their cat's mother had dissociative disorders, but I haven't seen anything. It's such an obvious problem clinically, but I'm not aware of people looking at it. Curious if other are. I think it would be really really hard to adequately measure it because you have to disentangle it from true mental health symptoms. It's malingering sort've, but also probably personality stuff too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to comment on here, recently had a patient at the clinic who “knew she had bipolar” and would would constantly talk about her self diagnosis. Go to the psychiatrist diagnosis page and “rule out bipolar” was the second on the diagnosis list. I have 100% seen an uptick mainly in females who will come into the clinic claiming they have either autism or bpd becuase they have all the symptoms.

On another note have you noticed how theirs many young children claiming they have DID from tiktok now? Yet to encounter anyone irl who was fake claiming but have met one person who actually had it. Frightening to say the least

I just wanted to comment on here, recently had a patient at the clinic who “knew she had bipolar” and would would constantly talk about her self diagnosis. Go to the psychiatrist diagnosis page and “rule out bipolar” was the second on the diagnosis list. I have 100% seen an uptick mainly in females who will come into the clinic claiming they have either autism or bpd becuase they have all the symptoms.

On another note have you noticed how theirs many young children claiming they have DID from tiktok now? Yet to encounter anyone irl who was fake claiming but have met one person who actually had it. Frightening to say the least
We are at a point we can just burn the DSM as everyone thinks they have anxiety/depression/OCD/ADHD/autism all together and their mother was borderline and gave them PTSD

Reactions: 4 users
I'm of two minds on "Tik Tok mental health discourse." On the one hand, it's great that people are talking about mental health; on the other hand, there's a lot of work to be done in the room with clients when it comes to exploring their attachments to diagnostic labels and concepts. "CPTSD" and "trauma" are huge these days, and so are concepts like "narcissism." I've been finding that a lot of clients (especially younger millennials) really over-identify with these concepts, to the point that they begin to externalize control, accountability, etc.

It's a lot of work to decouple some of this stuff with clients, especially since poking at these labels tends to bring up a lot of stuff for them.

Is there any research written about this phenomenon in the clinical literature? Would love to hear any thoughts from other clinicians if you've run into this in your own work.
Idk man but I have had some success with the "do you want to have a label or do you want to live a functional life" approach

Reactions: 6 users
For context I work in an autism clinic, do mostly diagnostics with a focus on adolescents and adults. I’ve been riding the whole “neurodiverse spectrum” conversation for a while and focusing on the “labels are constructing and lead ppl to have stereotypes about you, for better or worse, so like let’s focus on self-insight to know what is actually true for you and table the discussion of labels for after.”

…almost everything we see ppl coming into the clinic for can be thought of as the tail end of a characteristic that exists along a normal curve in the juman population and, in certain circumstances, can be adaptive or a totally “normal” human experience / response to certain set of circumstances. There are infinite number of planes/variables you could consider a person on and we all have some outliers, personal tendencies more toward the outer edges of the curve. Often these characteristics can be a double edged sword (In the folks I’m having this type of conversation with anyway- not talking about severe impairment). It’s a personal decision in life whether to pursue insight into what those profiles of differences are in ourselves and then what to do with that knowledge. Will we wield that sword skillfully or blunder about for years? Are we going to focus on figuring out how to use our strengths to support those areas that don’t come as naturally to us (which is effortful, yes, but can ultimately be rewarding to a life changing degree as it often also leads to more acceptance / tolerance of differences In self and others) and potentially turn them into strengths if we learn to support and direct them skillfully? Or use them as excuses and never actually become more skilled ourselves?

The utility of a label is what it gives you access to - more targeted direction for seeking resources/self-understanding, ideas, skill development, insurance to help pay for some of those things, perhaps after you develop some degree of insight then the supports you need to continue growing (school or ADA accommodations and whatnot) that allow you to continue growing/functioning in other areas. Ok client so you are describing you have a tendency toward experiencing ____ (Big Emotions, impulsivity, have a learning disorder, disassociate easily, have poor implicit learning but great explicit learning as in ASD, “sticky” attention on interests or worries, whatever)? Ok, maybe that’s dysfunctional right now. AND if willing to put on the work then we can work toward figuring out how to control that when needed, put supports or environmental or habit changes in place to manage that difference more skillfully and then the flip side is that is also correlated with (insert positive trait supported by research or evolutionary psych or something).

With clients I generally avoid using myself as an example but bear with me, I do have a point :) As someone with adhd that didnt get diagnosed until well into adulthood (despite, I learned as an adult, several recommendations to evaluate- my mom’s response to my sharing the diagnosis was “yeah, we kinda knew that” which took me a while to grapple with) … that context I think makes the double edged sword analogy pretty relatable to me. Sticky attention as a kid- on Interests, worries, that annoying flicker in that one light in the back of Ms Frick’s class, daydreams- oof. So much negative downstream effects internally and externally. As an adult with insight, supports in place and good habits / strategies, in the right environment - it’s totally valid to call that an asset most of the time- and it has room to be because the rest of life isn’t so damn hard and effortful now after a lot of work). I think everyone has aspects they can reflect on and come to a similar conclusion of a trait that can go either way and thus talk about these points genuinely.

So between clients and having this conversation with colleagues I’ve got a pretty big bucket of those “double edged sword” examples built up by now — as well as counter examples of whatever a client might tell me when I ask “what does that label mean to you” to point out they risk getting themselves sucked into stereotypes by clinging to certain terminology (rather than developing insight first and then using it strategically when warranted- that then limits self understanding and room for growth.

Pointing that out sometimes leads to some lightbulb moments. One of my favorite counterexamples I’ve used recently is a person in my support group for adults on the autism spectrum. This person is in their 60s, has a great deal of social interaction in supervisory and pastoral-esque roles inherent in their jobs, and though there are rare missteps in novel situations I honestly think this person could easily be a more skilled therapist than me and I would bet money is a better supervisor than me BECAUSE OF the self insight, outrageously complex (to me) “if/then” flowcharts in her mind around managing stressful or wel-delineated social interactions - and because they know social can be a relative weakness they are far more thoughtful than average.

But if they had written off those types of things as “I’m not good at that” or with an external locus of control rather than deciding to at least explore the possibilities of things being different by putting in the effort of learning, being thoughtful, being a good proactive self-advocate and strategic discloser (of differences, not diagnoses), apologizing genuinely for missteps with a growth mindset, and maintaining good general self care (which is v unique for them), they’d never be anywhere near where they are now (very successful, one job is high ranking federal and definitely making way more than I’ll ever dream of making, and having true, very genuine and deep relationships of various types). Good thing they didn’t initially stereotype themselves out of getting to the life they have now. Would hate for whatever client is in front of me to do the same.

Sorry so long - obviously been thinking about this general topic a lot, especially lately :) hopefully a thought-sparking point or two in there for someone else out there!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Part of my job is doing autism evaluations in adults , something I have extensive training in and is within my scope of practice in my state. It is a lengthy process. It used to be a lot more fun and rewarding before Tik Tok took over. Now people come in to be “validated” of their self-diagnosis which is often wrong. I hate having the feedback sessions with them. They also provide me with 15 page lists of their symptoms along with links to Tik Tok.

Reactions: 1 users

Your post is all over the place. If you're asking if PTSD is a disease, then yes it is. Psychologists are familiar with these ideas already.
I notice a lot of buzzwords in your post.

Exactly what question are you asking?

Your post is all over the place. If you're asking if PTSD is a disease, then yes it is. Psychologists are familiar with these ideas already.
I notice a lot of buzzwords in your post.

Exactly what question are you asking?

I think the point the OP was making is that Tiktok creates an avenue for people to seek out these diagnosis and use them as a badge of honor, leading to misdiagnosis. Thats how I see it at least. I think a lot of young people "want" a certain label because its a way to explain their behavior and assume the victim role. I see this frequently.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the point the OP was making is that Tiktok creates an avenue for people to seek out these diagnosis and use them as a badge of honor, leading to misdiagnosis. Thats how I see it at least. I think a lot of young people "want" a certain label because its a way to explain their behavior and assume the victim role. I see this frequently.

I can't tell you how many GAD patients I've seen who think they're autistic.

My focus is adolescent/adult eval for ASD and the tiktok continues to be a strong driver in referrals. Interestingly, it seems to be a pattern with me and the other clinician in our clinic who also sees most of these clients - the women who are coming in with the well-organized binders, categorized, lots of details... they've almost all been yeses to ASD before we've even taken a look at their binders which we intentionally save for after scoring and everything else.

The several I've had come in with backpacks of sensory / fidget items that they pull out whenever we start talking about childhood or emotions - all nopes.

In case this is seen as relevant because it would appear this is not simply a client issue, but a clinician one as well.

At least in the case I spoke of in this thread anyway:

I had an assessment client that I had a good rapport with come in for an autism evaluation. The results were not consistent with autism. They cried for an hour and didn’t hear a word I said. I had another client and could not run over so I offered a free consultation today to further process their feelings. It was the worst therapeutic half hour. It makes me want to give this up.

I had an assessment client that I had a good rapport with come in for an autism evaluation. The results were not consistent with autism. They cried for an hour and didn’t hear a word I said. I had another client and could not run over so I offered a free consultation today to further process their feelings. It was the worst therapeutic half hour. It makes me want to give this up.
If somome is upset by a diagnosis or anything else for that matter, it’s ok to let them be upset. Probably shouldn’t have given them more time to process it as now you’re just trying to make them feel better which is probably the problem for this patient anyway so to have problems and get people to feel sorry for them and try to make them feel better. Don’t worry about it, you probably just got sucked in a bit. It happens. 😊