clerkship is killing me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tussy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clerkship is killing me, or at least it's driving me insane very quickly. Rounds begin at 6am and I don't get done in the evening until 7! Then there's call - every fourth night and every other weekend. I'm so sleep deprived I can barely see, yet I still have to keep my head sharp enough to manage my patients properly. I go for days without seeing daylight. I love medicine, but this seems like a form of mental torture. I still have 2 months left of this surgery rotation and I'm not sure how I'll get through it. Does it get easier as you go? Does anyone have any survival tips that can help me get through? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Tussy - try to keep your spirits up. I too am currently doing my surgery rotation. I got lucky and chose a hospital that does not require call for the students (precisely why I chose it), but I have to be there by 5:00 am six days a week and my days are generally 12 hours long.

I agree you have it hard - call will definitely wear you down. But, what I've done is try to figure out what I can get from this rotation and concentrate on learning the medicine involved.

I am loving it - only 4 more weeks to go then we do surgery subspecialties (ophthamology, ENT, urology, anesthesia, orthopedics) - those are supposed to be short days and weekends off!

Anyway - jsut wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Good luck!