Class of 2021 NAPLEX Scores and Predictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then how will students decide which school to go to this Fall 2022? Most schools aren’t declaring their scores on their website. I wouldn’t want to go to a school where they don’t share their stats with me. It all seems shady. In the past NABP always released it on March.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
UPDATE

Talking with NABP and some other schools, their is no timeline for the release of NAPLEX/NABP scores. Haven't gotten an 'official' reason but the theory amongst some of us is that some schools have asked for clarification on how they are being scored but again this is a theory and no one knows when they are going to be released.
lol, now schools are asking for a NAPLEX rescore?
I hope NABP charges them $200 for that

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure when everybody else has taken the test but I’m somebody who has taken it more than once with this new scoring scale and it is completely ridiculous… it’s harder, and I am not a dumb student, and this test is way more than minimum competency to be a pharmacist. The fact that they don’t give us to anymore even to people who fail is it’s not helpful to studying for the retake. It is evident that the test is not equal in difficulty from day-to-day some test being saturated with very specific rare topics and others being easier. So I’m having a ton of math so I’m having limited amounts. It should be clear across-the-board how many questions per topic will be on the exam this is just the NABP‘s way of making students retake it and make more money and hold them back from starting a career. Let’s not even mention the scoring error scandal that happened with this new exam.
The test didn't get harder with the new scoring. MPJE stayed the same test and those scores got worse in the year that the NAPLEX changed. If anything, that shows that the NAPLEX got easier, not harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Folks, the scores are so freaking bad they aren't releasing it. That is probably what is happening here. Got to figure out a way to put some spin on the numbers. Maybe if we don't release it no one will notice.

Reactions: 2 users
The longer they wait the more conspiracy theories arise. This is the reason why states want to get the election results out as fast as possible. Nobody wants to be another 2000 FL and now you see on election night they one of the fastest states cause of that black eye.

Anyway didn't try to get political but this is getting in the realm of incompetence and insanity.

Every time I see a notification of new comments on this thread, I get a bit excited before the pitfall of knowing nothing has been updated -

I would imagine the main goal would be to release the results by the last day of April (last day of April at least "appears" better than any release date in the month of May).

Wonder if all the new grads are failing and that’s why we see increase in some retail job availability lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Crikey we are into May now with no posting of the score results by school. What the actual...

Remember that I put in an earlier post that the national pass rate for 2021 was 83.7%, down 4.7% from the previous year. [Schools received this in February.] The reasons for the delay are probably: (1) There was a scoring mishap in the fall where - during a brief window of time - the results were flipped (passes were scored as fails, and fails were scored as passes); this (2) handed an opportunity for students who failed at any point during the testing cycle to question if they actually failed; scuttlebutt is that some schools with low pass rates were supporting students in their battle [the decision to not release exam scores starting in May 2021 has not been helpful], and (3) The scores are terrible, so there is no rush to publish them.

As a school with a good pass rate in a competitive market, the leadership team was (and remains) TICKED that the nationwide results haven't been published. Of course, this assumes that applicants care about NAPLEX pass rates. Some do. Most don't.

This should be interesting.

Well the results are out and the link is below.

Here are the worst of the worst for 1st time pass rates. CSU almost won but another Chicago school took the trophy. Hampton and Larkin pulled their scores up into the higher 60s which is like winning a Nobel Prize for them so kudos. Some new names on the list. Also double check me cause my power is out and I'm literally doing this by flashlight.

1. Roosevelt 53%
2. CSU 54%
3. California Health 62%
4-t. University of Hawaii 65%
4-t. Long Island. 65%
6. Appalachia 66%

Reactions: 3 users
Eyes on California. some shift, which schools are having trouble attracting quality students:

1. Northstate: 77%- I guess students no longer interested in moving down there for school.
2. California Health Sciences University- 62%: pitiful
3. Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: 84%: Better than i expected
4. Marshall B. Ketchum University College of Pharmacy: 71%- third best school in Orange County.
5. Touro University – California College of Pharmacy: 90%- solid
6. University of California – San Diego 96%
7. University of California, San Francisco School of Pharmacy 91%
8. University of Southern California School of Pharmacy 96%
9. University of the Pacific Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy 89%
10. West Coast University School of Pharmacy 77%- Maybe the radio commercials are paying off
11. Western University of Health Sciences College of Pharmacy 92%
12. Chapman University School of Pharmacy 90%
13. Loma Linda University School of Pharmacy 85%- trending down

Haven't reported: UC Irvine and AUPHS (could be bad)
Wow. Too many schools.

Last edited:
I remember the days where one had to claw, fight, scamble their way to get into pharmacy school.....now its like Oprah..."And you get in..."

Got an email from our company asking why we dont have more people as preceptors. Sorry....Im trying to keep my job for as long as I can.

Getting into pharmacy school is now like bragging about getting a participation trophy

Members don't see this ad :)
it is encouraging/interesting to see most schools have smaller classes now.
I wonder if this trend will reverse now with higher demands

I would like to mention that this down ward shift is evident that most schools were not prepared for distance education, student body wasn't motivated for distance education, and clinicals shouldn't ever be distance education style. This is my graduating class. I graduated from the Appalachian college of pharmacy with a measly 66% first pass rate. I can attest that many of my class lacked the motivation for online classes, myself included. But I got to go to actual clinical rotations and participate in patient care. Some of my classmates didn't get such a choice. So the overall drop is a multitude of issues, not just opening up matriculation to everyone.

PS
I passed my first time.

I would like to mention that this down ward shift is evident that most schools were not prepared for distance education, student body wasn't motivated for distance education, and clinicals shouldn't ever be distance education style. This is my graduating class. I graduated from the Appalachian college of pharmacy with a measly 66% first pass rate. I can attest that many of my class lacked the motivation for online classes, myself included. But I got to go to actual clinical rotations and participate in patient care. Some of my classmates didn't get such a choice. So the overall drop is a multitude of issues, not just opening up matriculation to everyone.

PS
I passed my first time.

I agree with you about distance education. but, why do the historically good school continue to outperform the newer schools? Did they deliver online education better or did they just attract far superior students?

• Hmm
I remember the days where one had to claw, fight, scamble their way to get into pharmacy school.....now its like Oprah..."And you get in..."

Got an email from our company asking why we dont have more people as preceptors. Sorry....Im trying to keep my job for as long as I can.
Pharmacists currently in their 30s-40s are going to be the smartest cohort of pharmacists for 100 years.

We were just from better stock. Let's just be honest about the reality in front of us.

I'm not saying that today's students are all dimwits. I'm just saying that there is a much higher likelihood that they are compared to 15-20 years ago when people with medical school level grades and intelligence were fighting to get in.

Pharmacists currently in their 30s-40s are going to be the smartest cohort of pharmacists for 100 years.

We were just from better stock. Tough reality of the situation.

Not gonna lie I'm kind of a *******. But when we graduated nearly every school had 90%+ pass rate.

I agree with you about distance education. but, why do the historically good school continue to outperform the newer schools? Did they deliver online education better or did they just attract far superior students?

Those schools in general have higher quality students meaning higher PCAT scores and GPA. A lot of the low tier schools don’t even require the PCAT.

PS
I passed my first time.
The whole Covid situation/lockdown was not ideal at all for any student. Class of 2021 did not have a whole year of online classes btw, only around 1 month, but some did end up having virtual APPEs.

Every school from kindergarten to doctoral degrees had to and still has to deal with Covid. It is not unique to any program, state, or degree but has everything to do with how leadership responds to a challenge and right now we a witnessing which programs have the resources and capabilites to deal with problems. Any program that wants to say that their low scores are due to Covid haven't responded well as their peers and their clock is ticking down. I feel that Covid brought to light the low standards that have been growing over the past years such as eliminating the PCAT, lower GPAs, and even removing prerequisite coursework. The schools made their bed and now it's time to sleep....maybe for good.

There are 13 schools in California? No wonder I can't find a job.

Here are the worst of the worst for 1st time pass rates. CSU almost won but another Chicago school took the trophy. Hampton and Larkin pulled their scores up into the higher 60s which is like winning a Nobel Prize for them so kudos. Some new names on the list. Also double check me cause my power is out and I'm literally doing this by flashlight.

1. Roosevelt 53%
2. CSU 54%
3. California Health 62%
4-t. Long Island. 65%
6. Appalachia 66%

Wow! at Long Island University. I'm surprised Touro NY isn't on this list

Last edited:
Wow! at Long Island University. I'm surprised Touro NY isn't on this list
Touro NY has one of the best pass rates in NY for 2021 shockingly enough! Binghamton University School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences is just above LIU for the bottom spot now.

1. Roosevelt 53%
2. CSU 54%
3. California Health 62%
4-t. Long Island. 65%
6. Appalachia 66%

You forgot about william carey (I have never heard of this school until today) with a staggering 57% and wingate at 64%

And SUNY Binghamton - actually a good school (school as a whole, not necessarily pharmacy school) IIRC - @ 66%

William Carey is a new school in MS but their score was a 68% and Wingate at a 67% and SUNY at a 68%. I always go by 1st time pass rate cause that is what the schools have always pegged their 'success' to that stat.

William Carey is a new school in MS but their score was a 68% and Wingate at a 67% and SUNY at a 68%. I always go by 1st time pass rate cause that is what the schools have always pegged their 'success' to that stat.
gotcha- I read the wrong column, either way- they all suck

We were just from better stock. Let's just be honest about the reality in front of us.

I'm not saying that today's students are all dimwits. I'm just saying that there is a much higher likelihood that they are compared to 15-20 years ago when people with medical school level grades and intelligence were fighting to get in.
We were young and naive. We believed what we read and what were told by our elders. We were too ignorant not to read the faces and guarded responses of those we shadowed.