USMLE CK will have shorter vignettes in January 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeBStein85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
CONFIRMED!! :)

Hey guys,

I just rescheduled my CK exam until January.
According to someone I know who contributes to the USMLE Step2 CK exam, the vignettes will be 10-20% shorter in length, since "many testers complained that they were too long."

I am really excited about this, since I tend to get panic attacks whenever I see a LONG vignette. I advise anyone who's taking the test this month to wait a couple more weeks. The people who failed were the ones who could not keep up with the long vignettes.

Once again, the person I spoke to advised me to wait a couple of weeks, and I want to share this news with you guys. shorter vignettes will make you less anxious and get you more points on the exam!

Best wishes and Happy Holidays :)

-Joe
MSIII

Members don't see this ad.

"confirmed" by your "friend"?

Really wouldn't bank on that. You should just work on your timing.

CONFIRMED!! :)

Hey guys,

I just rescheduled my CK exam until January.
According to someone I know who contributes to the USMLE Step2 CK exam, the vignettes will be 10-20% shorter in length, since "many testers complained that they were too long."

I am really excited about this, since I tend to get panic attacks whenever I see a LONG vignette. I advise anyone who's taking the test this month to wait a couple more weeks. The people who failed were the ones who could not keep up with the long vignettes.

Once again, the person I spoke to advised me to wait a couple of weeks, and I want to share this news with you guys. shorter vignettes will make you less anxious and get you more points on the exam!

Best wishes and Happy Holidays :)

-Joe
MSIII

So, you create a new account to make 3 posts that state the same thing (somehow magically CK question stems are going to be shorter starting January). There is nothing on "official" USMLE website about this. I don't see any reason why the NBME would suddenly decide to make the question stems shorter. Either your sources are completely bogus or I smell some ulterior motives (although I have difficulty imagining what they may be).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well my friend had her exam a week ago and she told me that 70% of qs were just 3-4 lines and the rest were nothing like UW long Length Qs. I would appreciate if anyone else share their experience if they have a same issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Now with all this prep for long stems there's a possibility for having extra checking time.

Will I expect short stems?

fukh no.

Will I be delighted to see them?

obviously.

I took the exam yesterday and yeah, the stems were short most of the time (4-5 lines). There were some that were long, but nothing unmanageable.

Cool, so it sounds like they've decided to cut the length. The only way to compensate for that is to make the scenarios harder or to make the curve harsher.

Took the exam about a week ago. The stems were very long. Much longer than 4-5 sentences. Don't get your hopes up.

Either your sources are completely bogus or I smell some ulterior motives (although I have difficulty imagining what they may be).

Someone that is trying to snatch up a CK slot before the end of the year and needs people to cancel, maybe? Admittedly this would make more sense if it were for CS, but that's all I can think of...

I took the test today. in the majority were questions with very very long stems. There were maybe 10 per bank in the below-5-lines category.

The test is normalized. Even if the proportion of short stem questions increases (it's always been a mix), it is unlikely to make any impact on scoring for the majority of takers.