Civil infraction level offense with an arrest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedtfout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can tell this issue has been hashed out a lot but I haven't seen anything about my specific situation. I was "arrested" at a concert in New Hampshire for possession of alcohol which I believe is an MIP. Thankfully, NH only has it at a violation level equivalent to traffic tickets so it is NOT a misdemeanor. I wasn't even breathylzed and I was super cooperative and nice and so I'm hoping to get this off my record. Worst case even if I plead guilty I can get it and my arrest totally expunged after a year. My question now is how could this effect my chances to get into dental school and licensing? My offense is literally at the same level as a traffic ticket. The only thing that worries me is the arrest log. Even though it'll be expunged in a year or hopefully sooner I just worry this could look bad for me for dental school or to get licensed. If anyone has any helpful things to say please please please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the specific input box description for this stuff on the dental school app (I dont recall exactly as it was 4 years ago)? I feel like if it is the same level as a minor traffic violation in your state, then you should be fine. The applications in my experience will typically state explicitly: "Were you charged with a felony or infraction (EXCLUDING MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS ETC) that resulted in...." etc. Go to the app and read the description carefully and see what they say. If it says to disclude minor traffic violations etc then it seems logical that you wont even have to report it on the app. But again, just check on the app as you wouldn't want to be dishonest. If anything, theres a description box there and you could always write in that area that it is a minor offense (traffic violation level). I personally know someone who was arrested for public intoxication right before applying to dental school and that person is now doing very well at a VERY good program. And i think that is similar to your case, but not sure.

The past is the past, dont dwell on it! you cant change what's happened, but you definitely can be positive and im sure it wont accept your chances at all. No worries!

Reactions: 1 users
What is the specific input box description for this stuff on the dental school app (I dont recall exactly as it was 4 years ago)? I feel like if it is the same level as a minor traffic violation in your state, then you should be fine. The applications in my experience will typically state explicitly: "Were you charged with a felony or infraction (EXCLUDING MINOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS ETC) that resulted in...." etc. Go to the app and read the description carefully and see what they say. If it says to disclude minor traffic violations etc then it seems logical that you wont even have to report it on the app. But again, just check on the app as you wouldn't want to be dishonest. If anything, theres a description box there and you could always write in that area that it is a minor offense (traffic violation level). I personally know someone who was arrested for public intoxication right before applying to dental school and that person is now doing very well at a VERY good program. And i think that is similar to your case, but not sure.

The past is the past, dont dwell on it! you cant change what's happened, but you definitely can be positive and im sure it wont accept your chances at all. No worries!
Thank you so much! That made me feel a lot better. I'm not going to be applying until next June so hopefully that will help too and I plan to stay completely out of trouble. I've been feeling like crap about it thinking that it'll ruin my future somehow

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need a lawyer, not SDN.

Use both though.
Get a lawyer to make sure its expunged and you can legally say it never happened.
I got caught with a fake ID freshman year of college and didn't get it expunged because I didn't get a lawyer, it ended up being "dismissed", which essentially means not guilty but still shows up in the record, and I just had to take a class and do community service. It counted as a misdemeanor. When it came up in interviews I just said "it was a very stupid thing to do and I've matured since then and I see the error of my ways blah blah blah".
I also got an "open container" ticket the night I got into dental school (celebrating a bit too hard).
Amidst those I still got into two dental schools with subpar grades (3.4overall)
Even at one of the interviews the guy said that some people are going to have spots on their record and it's nothing to worry about, they know you're a bunch of early 20 somethings and everyone makes mistakes. However, he did mention that they'll notice if there's a pattern so definitely get straight now and make sure you don't get another MIP. Hopefully you're 21 now.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got 2 DUI charges (drinking) 2007 and 2012.. both misdemeanors, I tried lawyers and I couldn't get them expunged . I got accepted last year. I was honest and they overlooked it... I hope I don't have problems in the future for the actual license or for the DEA to prescribe.
Just be honest and humble if you get called for interviews

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user