choosing the right optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faal

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all OD-students

I'm applying to optometry schools this year.I'm very confused about choosing the right school. I have friends in Suny school of optometry (NY) and in UCB (CA), they are telling me do not apply to these two schools because surviving the 1st two years of optometery is extremely hard in these schools. Since my GPA is only 3.25 i'm worry about surviving the optometry school. Do u guys have any recommendation ? ( note: i don't want to move out of states )

Members don't see this ad.

You also have 12 other schools to choose from in the US. Visit the schools, find out their strengths and weeknesses, and figure out what you are looking for..i.e. research vs clinical experience vs academic excellence... And don't worry about your undergrad GPA, they probably don't correlate well to how you'll do in OD school, at least from people I've talked to. Check out ICO, it's not a bad school.

I know I'm being alittle biased, b/c I will be going there, but PCO is a great school too.

I agree with Mike, go visit the schools. Only then will you get a good idea if thats where you want to be for the next 4 years.

Good Luck! :)

Definitely take into account what the other users have said. With a 3.25 berkely's going to be a long shot, but the whole admission process is so random I'd still apply, what the hell right? Especially if you're a CA resident.

You have to go to a few schools to find out where you'd fit in. You'll get a good education wherever you go. You have to go where you'll fit in and be happy for the next four years. The best way to do this in my opinion is to talk to the students who go there. They're you're best source of what it's like to go to a particular school over another one.