Choosing Intership...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meritina

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a choice between internships - peds, med, or surg - unless there are other internships i am not aware of.

I'm trying to pick one based on which tends to have a less massive patient load, less rounding, which is a bit less work-intensive, and which has less call (yeah right if there are any out there like this, but anyways...).

ironically, it appeared that surgery interns had it a bit better off in these ways at my institution than medicine and peds so i am leaning towards that. on the other hand, i still want to come out being a good doctor capable of treating basic illnesses and that makes medicine more attractive.

what are you opinions about the different types of internship if you could choose any...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with Medicine (ovbiously I am biased by being a Medicine resident) :) If you want to be able to do general stuff I think it's the best option. Anyway, as far as workload, it varies among institutions. At my institution, surgical interns work really hard, but withe 80h/w cap things might be better.

good luck
lf

instead of the field- there are a few "chill" surgery residencies on the W coast (where I'm from) and some brutal PGY-1 medicine and transitional years (Brigham, Harbor-UCLA).

Generally community hospitals are less malignant- there are a few famously chill hospitals to spend a year. By reputation only... Santa Barbara Cottage, Virginia Mason, any Kaiser, Santa Clara Valley, St. Marys in SF, White Memorial, UCLA-Woodland Hills, the community hospital in San Diego, Lenox Hill, Flushing, St Vincents (maybe changing). Any others?

I am a DO student looking into some transitional year/prelim programs in Southern Cal. I was wondering what programs in Southern Cal were DO-friendly, and with the medicine prelim year, do they expect you to stay in the IM program for residency?
Thanks for your help.