Cholinergic vs. Myasthenic Crisis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Edd P.

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, exams in 12 days, can somebody clarify these two for me pls?

And might anybody wanna pitch in some last days topics to cram, pls do so. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Cholinergic crisis:
When dose of AchE inhibitor inappropriately high -> excessive Ach in the synaptic cleft -> excessive stimulation of skeletal muscles -> refractory to future impulses, muscle weakness

(CHOLINERGIC crisis aka increased acetylCHOLINE)

Myasthenic crisis:
Suboptimal dose of AchE inhibitor -> not enough Ach available in the synaptic cleft -> myasthenic symptoms

(It's in the name again)

Tensilon test:
Infusion of edrophonium (short acting AchE inhibitor) -> increases neuromuscular transmission and temporarily improves symptoms in a myasthenic crisis ; no improvement in a cholinergic crisis as NMJ is already insensitive to the extra Ach

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Cholinergic crisis:
When dose of AchE inhibitor inappropriately high -> excessive Ach in the synaptic cleft -> excessive stimulation of skeletal muscles -> refractory to future impulses, muscle weakness

(CHOLINERGIC crisis aka increased acetylCHOLINE)

Myasthenic crisis:
Suboptimal dose of AchE inhibitor -> not enough Ach available in the synaptic cleft -> myasthenic symptoms

(It's in the name again)

Tensilon test:
Infusion of edrophonium (short acting AchE inhibitor) -> increases neuromuscular transmission and temporarily improves symptoms in a myasthenic crisis ; no improvement in a cholinergic crisis as NMJ is already insensitive to the extra Ach

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much. Follow up question on that
1. Whats the management for Cholinergic crisis?
2. For myasthenic crisis, does it have a pharmacokinetic property that I have to be aware of? (Like if it is desensitization of nicotinic rc for cholinergic crisis)

1. For the management of cholinergic crisis UW mentioned to discontinue the AchE inhibitors temporarily. I've read that atropine and respiratory support can be given.

2. I don't think so, but incase you come across anything let me know!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. For the management of cholinergic crisis UW mentioned to discontinue the AchE inhibitors temporarily. I've read that atropine and respiratory support can be given.

2. I don't think so, but incase you come across anything let me know!

Will do tha :) again, thank you :)

For myasthenic crisis, you can either give IVIG (synthetic antibodies) or plasmapheresis.

Reactions: 1 user