Children's National in DC- Community Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LinC455

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New member here and applying for peds. Children's National seems like a great program, but it is listed as a community-based program. As an applicant who is interested in pursuing a fellowship, would a community-based program mean less opportunities for research? I'm actually not sure what a community-based program means. If someone can shed some light on that, I'd appreciate it! Also, how's Children's National as a program for those who have already interviewed there?

Thanks! Hope interviews are going well for everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Listed where? Children's National is affiliated with George Washington University. It is an amazing pediatric hospital and a fantastic program. I would say maybe it is one of the top 10-15 peds programs in the nation. Being a graduate from there should get you any fellowship you want in the country. That being said, I know nothing about the academic environment or if the residents are happy/unhappy, but I have no doubts about the good reputation of the program.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

I was doing research using FREIDA, not sure how reliable that is, but I saw the program listed as community-based. I was confused myself as I knew that the hospital was affiliated with GWU. Glad to know that it's known for being a great program!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! CNMC does have three tracks- Categorical, Community, and Primary Care. You can do a fellowship/specialize from any of the three tracks. Overall though, it is a large academic childrens hospital. The previous responder is right, its generally known as a top 10/top 15 program (and was just named the #1 for NICU). Almost everyone who applies to fellowship gets their first choice (at least for the last few years that I know about). Hope this helps!! p.s. Its a fantastic program. An excellent academic environment with a super warm/welcoming/team oriented attitude. Thats a tough combo to find :)

I would have no reservations about CNMC. You would get good training there, whether you want to do gen peds or sub specialty. It's a great hospital and program.

I think FREIDA lists community-based or community with academic affiliation for every program that isn’t “such and such University”. So Children’s National has affiliations and is a fantastic program, but FREIDA sees it differently than Emory University, for example, which would be listed as academic. It matters for some programs, but definitely not in this case.