Child Neurology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahE

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I'm a third year student hoping to do pediatrics and child neurology. I know that most peds neuro programs accept applications from students for PGY-3 but then you have to find a peds position for the first two years. I'm concerned about whether I'll be able to find a peds program to take me knowing that I'll just be doing the first two years. Any idea how people usually work this out?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

SarahE, check my message to you in the pediatric forum.:)

Sarah,
I don't know if your willing to move or not, but Johnson City, TN is lacking in the Child Neurology dept.!! We have 2 child neuros and they are in Knoxville.....A good drive for everyone on this side of it : southeast Va included!.....There is now a waiting of 2 months to be able to see these doctors because they are so booked!....You should think about moving to Johnson City, TN and starting your career...This is where East Tennessee State University is located and there are about 5 hospitals in a 45min radius....There is a group of neuros in johnson city, but not specializing in children....They had one once named Jarlath Mitchell, but he moved back home to Ireland....Anyway, I know I'm rambling, but we are desperate need here....Think about it...
Good Luck!
Desiree'- mommy of 2 who need a closer neurologist

Members don't see this ad :)
this shortage of child neurologists can been seen everywhere in this country. even in chicago, i've been told that the waiting period to see a pd neurologist is 3 months.

Wow, I didn't realize there was a shortage in bigger cities.....Maybe the universities should try to talk up this specialty so that we may have more ped neuros