Cheapest 'step down converter'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What stores in Aus would have the cheapest step down converters? I asked in at Tandy and they were $100 and that seemed a little steep.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by markdc
What stores in Aus would have the cheapest step down converters? I asked in at Tandy and they were $100 and that seemed a little steep.

Told ya to buy it in Canada...lol

oh well. Dicksmith $50...for ur reference in Canada even with the whole pack it's only $20 in Walmart

If you're ever in HK about $16 from a local vendor.

Haven't seen a DickSmith in Brisbane yet. Is it a big chain?

Didn't realize the serious price gouging that goes on here. I can't believe the ridiculous amounts of money the telcos must make from phones and high speed internet connections. Maybe this Free Trade agreement with the US will bring in some competition but it seems unlikely since the Aus gov has controlling shares in Telstra. It all seems a little corrupt to me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Didn't realize the serious price gouging that goes on here. I can't believe the ridiculous amounts of money the telcos must make from phones and high speed internet connections. Maybe this Free Trade agreement with the US will bring in some competition but it seems unlikely since the Aus gov has controlling shares in Telstra. It all seems a little corrupt to me.

Yeah. That's all true. Next time I suggest you get a wireless router, and offer a connection to the highest bidder. whatever you do don't get your internet connection with telstra. you can get a decent broadband connection by checking out the following website

www.broadbandchoice.com.au

Dicksmith is big in tassie and melb. I don't know about the rest of australia, but you can check out the website.

www.dicksmith.com.au

Or another place that may be useful is www.ebay.com.au I've bought stuff off there before but I don't know if you're cool with ebay shopping or not.

Other than that mate your gonna have to buy the adaptor @ tandy, and next time just get the electronics from Canada to save yourself some money.

Best of luck in brisbane (must be hot as hell?)

Mark, it's in the city, I forgot what street, but go to Queen St. then go east 1-2 blocks, then take a left. Dick Smith down on right. I just looked at some, up to 750W, ~$100-$150 (grounded, regulated). The prices are comparable to what you'd find online.

-pitman