Cheapest option vs. Fun Location

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangos5ever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I have made up my mind but I'm curious to hear others opinions. I have been accepted to my state school and an OOS school. I always imagined that I would go to grad school oos (when applying to undergrad) but seeing the cost difference now scares me a bit. I liked the OOS school's program but it's the area and change of scenery that attracts me to it. My state school is an equally excellent program and definitely the cheapest option (I estimated around 175k difference when I graduate). My only hesitancy (I guess that's what you would call it) is that I also went to my state school for undergrad, so I would be moving back to a familiar area. It's not that I do not like the area, it's relatively close to home which is a definite bonus, but I won't get to experience a new city/location that I always sort of imagined. Anyway, do you think it would be worth selecting a pricer OOS school for the adventurous aspect it entails or nah?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It is tough because I faced a situation similar to this..

In the long run it'll benefit you to attend the cheaper school. Once you finish your program you can travel and new cities/locations.

I am curious to know what you decide. Keep me updated!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is tough because I faced a situation similar to this..

In the long run it'll benefit you to attend the cheaper school. Once you finish your program you can travel and new cities/locations.

I am curious to know what you decide. Keep me updated!

I'm going to go with my state school, with the reason iLikeTrains in mind! I'll hopefully be able travel more and can possibly complete a residency/aegd if I still have the desire to go oos!

If your specializing (or not), you can always move somewhere new for the the two years after Dental school. Then you can still have your sense of adventure.

I am in a similar situation except my OOS school is actually much closer to my home. I went away for undergrad to a small school and the OOS dental school is a large state school, so a much different experience and close to home.

About a 120k price difference to go to the OOS school, and I will probably be attending that school. I have no debt from undergrad and am really just much more excited about the OOS school (it has been my dream school for some time). Stupid financial decision, and I will literally pay for it, but being closer to my family and a different experience is worth it in my mind!

Definitely a different scenario for everyone, though.

There’s someone on SDN that posted a big financial projections sheet where you can put in all your info, estimated salary (beginning associates in your geographic area), mortgage, when to buy practice etc. I would search the forums for that and do your estimate. Seeing how long you’ll be in the red may factor in. I know it did for me. Good luck!

Do you have any idea how much $175,000 really is?! Seriously. If you did, you wouldn’t have even asked this question. You’re going to dental school, not on a 4 year vacation. But, if you’re looking to blow a ton of money on fun, might I recommend buying this place?

Condo for Sale in TAO, Akumal, Quintana Roo $165,000

Big Hoss