Changing Percentiles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor-who

UC Davis c/o 2024
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I took my GREs in 2018 and my percentiles have since changed (gone down 1 percent). I didn't think this was possible, but since it says the percentile includes the "most recent 3 years" of other people's test scores, does that mean that my percentiles will change until 2021? I literally have a screenshot from last year in 2018 where my quantitative score was 80th percentile and upon checking today, it says 79th. This is really frustrating! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you answered your own question. Yeah, sounds like the percentiles can change. I wouldn't worry about 1%. With so many people taking the test a year, I doubt the numbers can change that much.

Reactions: 1 user
I literally have a screenshot from last year in 2018 where my quantitative score was 80th percentile and upon checking today, it says 79th. This is really frustrating!

Just remember that the percentage can fluctuate the other direction over the next several months too. 1% on the GRE, especially when you're so far above the average for applicants and matriculants, is not going to make or break your application.

Just remember that the percentage can fluctuate the other direction over the next several months too. 1% on the GRE, especially when you're so far above the average for applicants and matriculants, is not going to make or break your application.

Thank you! I guess I'm just anxious about the fluctuation because then it might look like I'm lying on purpose during the self-reporting sections. For example, I just sent an email to Wisconsin since I had submitted the original percentiles on my RADF form (some kind of supplemental they make us do). They said thank you, and that they'll update it. But also since I applied last year, all the scores with those percentiles should look the same since they got loaded last year but on this year's application in the self-reported section, I wrote in this year's percentiles. Sorry, I know this is getting weird and complicated. I think it will be okay, but I'm just having a moment. Everything's just going nuts!

Members don't see this ad :)