Chances & should I apply to more schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikep_3601

Reaction score
Hi! I usually don't post something like this but the nerves are eating me alive so here it goes:
Date of submission: This june
Overall GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
Science GPA:
3.8+ (low 3.8)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
3.8+ (low 3.8)
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 24; TS 24; OC 24; GC 22; BIO 26; RC 22; QR 27; PAT 21
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: UNC CH
Major: bio (BS), chem (BA)
Minor: history
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+, 4 generals 1 peds
Volunteering Experience: been to 2 MOM clinics so like 10+ hours but didn't get a chance to go to many more bc of COVID
Employment:
Teacher - Summer - taught 8th grade science to economically disadvantaged and first generation 7th graders in the triangle area to prepare them for the upcoming grade
R&D Intern - Summer - logistical things nothing too crazy
Research: 340 hrs+ as a part of a synthetic polymer lab - no publications
Other Extracurriculars: VP of dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist (strong), 3 sciences (two are strongish, other not strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
My dad died my freshman year so my grades took a real turn during those first two semesters i've used that as a strength to push through college and try to make him proud. He was a physician so at his wake all I heard about was how he impacted and changed the lives of so many in my community and i wanted a part of that. I didn't really know if I wanted to do health related or what but I knew I wanted to have that same impact. I really tried to explore all career paths and I feel like my resume and transcript reflects that. I feel satisfied with my college experience and that journey to see what field I could have the most impact in. I fell in love with dentistry because of the familiarity with patients (seeing them twice a year) and face-to-face interaction, I really loved MOM clinics but they all got canceled during COVID :( any feedback on my chances of getting in and if I should expand my net would be so appreciated!

Schools: UNC, LSU (my extended family lives in LA and my parents graduated from here, grew up bleeding purple & gold), UCSF (reach), ECU, and UMD (my brother lives in baltimore)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I usually don't post something like this but the nerves are eating me alive so here it goes:
Date of submission: This june
Overall GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
Science GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.8+ (low 3.8)
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 24; TS 24; OC 24; GC 22; BIO 26; RC 22; QR 27; PAT 21
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: UNC CH
Major: bio (BS), chem (BA)
Minor: history
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100+, 4 generals 1 peds
Volunteering Experience: been to 2 MOM clinics so like 10+ hours but didn't get a chance to go to many more bc of COVID
Employment:
Teacher - Summer - taught 8th grade science to economically disadvantaged and first generation 7th graders in the triangle area to prepare them for the upcoming grade
R&D Intern - Summer - logistical things nothing too crazy
Research: 340 hrs+ as a part of a synthetic polymer lab - no publications
Other Extracurriculars: VP of dental club
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 1 dentist (strong), 3 sciences (two are strongish, other not strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: My dad died my freshman year so my grades took a real turn during those first two semesters i've used that as a strength to push through college and try to make him proud. He was a physician so at his wake all I heard about was how he impacted and changed the lives of so many in my community and i wanted a part of that. I didn't really know if I wanted to do health related or what but I knew I wanted to have that same impact. I really tried to explore all career paths and I feel like my resume and transcript reflects that. I feel satisfied with my college experience and that journey to see what field I could have the most impact in. I fell in love with dentistry because of the familiarity with patients (seeing them twice a year) and face-to-face interaction, I really loved MOM clinics but they all got canceled during COVID :( any feedback on my chances of getting in and if I should expand my net would be so appreciated!

Schools: UNC, LSU (my extended family lives in LA and my parents graduated from here, grew up bleeding purple & gold), UCSF (reach), ECU, and UMD (my brother lives in baltimore)
looks good
you should, of course, do everything you can to get into UNC or ECU
add 2 or 3 safety schools

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)