Chances of Getting into Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressedtfout

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Just like a thousand of the other ones, I wanted to just post my stats and get peoples opinions on what my chances are of getting into Dental School. The main reason I am even posting this is because I am Canadian (going to school in the US though) and will be applying to American schools for the most part (except Shulich and Toronto probably). It's really hard to get stats on accepted Canadians so I just wanted to get some opinions!
So here goes:
Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.94
Science: 3.93 BCPM, 3.89 including Kin 270 (Anatomy and Phys, dont know if this counts here or not)
DAT: AA 23, TS 22
Shadowing: General Dentist for 200 Hours at least
Extracurriculars: Psych Research Lab for 2 years, Rape Counselor, Big Brothers Big Sisters mentor, Biology Lab TA, Advanced Placement Program for Biology my freshman year

That is all the main stuff. I have also babysat for years, and am thinking of having one of the families Im really close with even write me a letter of rec since they know me so well, not sure if this is appropriate or not though so any opinion on that would be cool too! I just figured since they trust me with their child maybe theyd be a good addition haha.
Thanks in advance everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your numbers are more than good enough for a canadian. For reference, I will be attending UDM this fall (unless i get off waitlist at schulich) and I applied with a 3.5/23AA numbers (granted i have alot of crap on my app to supplement in terms of ECs). But what you need to do now is to try to immerse yourself in as much EC as possible since DAT/GPA are good to go. Get involved in stuff that requires teamwork, leadership, conflict resolution, initiative, empathy. Basically working with different people and being able to cater to their unique needs. Doing so will give you many stories to refer to not only on your personal statement/app but also during interviews, because, having stories/evidence to support your answer is a winning formula to kill an interview.

Your numbers are more than good enough for a canadian. For reference, I will be attending UDM this fall (unless i get off waitlist at schulich) and I applied with a 3.5/23AA numbers (granted i have alot of crap on my app to supplement in terms of ECs). But what you need to do now is to try to immerse yourself in as much EC as possible since DAT/GPA are good to go. Get involved in stuff that requires teamwork, leadership, conflict resolution, initiative, empathy. Basically working with different people and being able to cater to their unique needs. Doing so will give you many stories to refer to not only on your personal statement/app but also during interviews, because, having stories/evidence to support your answer is a winning formula to kill an interview.
Hey thank you so much for replying! Based off what you said I assume you're a Canadian, which is awesome!! Thank you so much for responding I feel like I never hear from canadians haha. But I have the extra curriculars I listed and I apply this month so I will continue with those this summer and next year but is there any other stuff you would think? I am very invested in my role as a rape counselor + big brothers big sisters mentors as theyre both focused on helping people in some really serious situations. I have a lot of other, smaller things on my application I havn't devoted as much time too, for example I did an alternative spring break to help with Hurricane Relief Victims in NC, so do you think just dive into these more or try to do some new things?