chances of getting a residency at U-Minnesota Twin Cities as a non-MN resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Katie

I know as a second year student that it is a bit too early for me to be thinking about this, but I've heard that U Minn has great residency programs in peds and Med/Peds, both in which I am very interested. The problem is that I have no ties to the state of Minnesota other than a few great aunts who live there and am not a student at their medical school. Should I even bother to apply come 4th year? Also, a classmate of mine has a sig. other in Minnesota (not a physician and they are not married or currently planning to be) and he is also not a resident of the state though he went to a private school in MN for college. Does he have a better chance than I do at matching in MN? We are both Massachusetts (formerly Maryland in my case) residents if that helps. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your state residency status, I believe, has no bearing on your candidacy for residency programs. This was not a consideration when I applied, and I sent my applications to several state programs. In fact, I'm at one now. :)

thank you very much for the info.. I have heard that Minnesota and a number of other schools tend to take a lot of their own grads for residency.. if I remain interested in UMinn, should I try to do a rotation there during the beginning of 4th year? Anything else I can do? I think I would be OK with the weather (living in Boston, which is similar) and that I would really enjoy living in Minneapolis. How about my classmate; it seems like all he needs to do is propose to the girlfriend (not sure how likely this is) and he would have a great shot but I don't know..

Katie,

I have found that doing rotations at the program you're interested in is very helpful. This way you work with the faculty in the department, and they can support your candidacy.

The weather is cold, but if you're used to Boston, then you should be fine.

Good luck!