Chances of general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So I am a third year DO student. I just got my scores back for step and level one (222/544). I have seriously been considering surgery ever since my interest in medicine started. My question, is did I blow my chances of getting into a categorical general surgery residency spot? What would my chances be if I decide to go this route and apply broadly, with mostly community programs? I would also say that I go to a state DO school with a great reputation and my current clinical site does have a general surgery residency (not sure how much this matters). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a DO with a 224/556 so we are in a similar range.

I believe we definitely have a shot if we are smart and target the right programs.

Look at the charting outcomes, you guys aren’t out of the running yet. Get some research, get good letters, do auditions, kill step/level 2, apply broadly, target community and former DO programs and you have a chance.

If your clinical site has a residency that helps a lot. Make some connections there now, show interest in the program/field, talk to the residents and get advice for how they went through the match. The new residents literllay just matched, they know the process and in my experience are usually willing to give you a lot of great advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the charting outcomes, you guys aren’t out of the running yet. Get some research, get good letters, do auditions, kill step/level 2, apply broadly, target community and former DO programs and you have a chance.

If your clinical site has a residency that helps a lot. Make some connections there now, show interest in the program/field, talk to the residents and get advice for how they went through the match. The new residents literllay just matched, they know the process and in my experience are usually willing to give you a lot of great advice.

Agreed.

>230/550 seems to be the line where your chances go up to a more comfortable percentage.

The range right below <230/550 range seems closer to 50% give or take.

Also could the mods maybe move this out of the Plastics forum and into the more general Surgical forum?

Since we are discussing general surgery we may get some better hits there.

Also could the mods maybe move this out of the Plastics forum and into the more general Surgical forum?

Since we are discussing general surgery we may get some better hits there.
My bad, I thought it was in the general surgery forum. How do you move it? Im kinda new to SDN

Almost identical for me (223&541) but now am starting to consider Gas. If I was able to hit above 230 I don't think I would be considering alternatives but you gotta work with what you got. I'm wondering if you have thought of other specialties also?

I thought for 221-230 range Gas was looking more appetizing in terms of matched to unmatched ratio based on these data ^. Generally isn't it known that odds of matching Gas are better than GS for a DO? Do not know much about this year for Gas DO specific however so cannot comment.

Almost identical for me (223&541) but now am starting to consider Gas. If I was able to hit above 230 I don't think I would be considering alternatives but you gotta work with what you got. I'm wondering if you have thought of other specialties also?
Yeah Ive also thought a lot about IM-critical care, pulm/crit and gas.

Reactions: 1 users