Cgpa22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm currently in my senior year of undergrad and am planning on taking another year of classes to boost up my gpa. I will be taking my DAT fall of 2017 and taking classes through the summer up until I apply in June of 2018. I will be updating schools on my final grades if needed, as well.

I started college with a 4.0 gpa my first two semesters and by my sophmore year had already ruined it. My grandma passed away suddenly and as a result of grieving I let my grades slip and failed 3 classes. As a result of those 3 F's I was then not accepted into the university I had been dreaming to transfer to for many years (I had to stay home for a year and a half for financial reasons) and was on the right track for. Long, sad story short I fell into a serious depression and allowed this all to overwhelm me and I ended up with 4 F's, 2C's and 6 DRs after the full year (some of those DRs happened after my sophmore year in trying to regain momentum and not wanting anything but an A so in turn I decided it would be better to drop than add more Cs).

My GPA has been tremendously blown because of that year and since then I have been doing everything possible to get back to anything close to what I once was GPA wise. For the most part it has been an upward trend except for adding 2 more Cs in Orgo II lecture and lab.

Now before anyone goes in on my gpa and how terrible it is- trust me, I already know and it seriously never leaves my mind the damage that has been done. That's not what I'm asking the opinions to be on.

In the honest opinion of anyone reading what are my chances of getting in anywhere?
Even crazier, of getting into UAB or Tufts?

sGPA: 2.58
overall GPA: 3.33
DAT: tbd
about 150 hours shadowing hours of general dentist
about 250 hours shadowing hours of orthodontist
worked at dental office front desk (insurance, room preps) for 1 year
have been working as sterilization tech at orthodontic office for about 1.5 years
120 service hours at a rehabilitation home for differently-abled adults
volunteer hours with my school's pre-dental society
running for executive board position in pre-dental society
member of my school's chapter of habitat for humanity

Keep in mind I still have 3-4 semesters left of classes depending on whether or not I do both summer terms while applying.

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is you will need a really competitive DAT score to offset that GPA. EC's are terrific though.

Strive for 4.0's throughout your remaining 2 years.

All I can say is you will need a really competitive DAT score to offset that GPA. EC's are terrific though.

Strive for 4.0's throughout your remaining 2 years.

Thank you for the honesty!

Members don't see this ad :)