chances of anesthesia or IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, another one of these threads. But I'm honestly pretty stressed about the situation.

DO student
STEP 1: 217
Comlex 1: 529
Step 2 and Comlex 2 scheduled for end of July
Comlex PE: scheduled for April
Mostly Honors on Rotations, some HP, 1 Pass
Shelves: mostly HP (IM, Surg, OB/gyn) and P (FM, Psych, Peds)

I honestly want to do Anesthesia, but I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough for it. I know my scores are looking more like the IM route but just wanted to see if anyone that scored similar to me is on their way to Anesthesia residency or got enough interviews to be comfortable. I'm willing to apply broadly. If I apply to >60 or so programs. Do you think there is a good chance of matching?

Should I stick to it and go or just forget it and go the IM route? Please let me know if more information would be helpful.

Thanks for your help and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1488953954.046836.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1488953954.046836.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 121
  • ImageUploadedBySDN1488953960.940177.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1488953960.940177.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 100
Pretty much every DO applicant with a COMLEX higher than a 500 matched gas last year. Apply to a wide range of programs and you'll probably match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, another one of these threads. But I'm honestly pretty stressed about the situation.

DO student
STEP 1: 217
Comlex 1: 529
Step 2 and Comlex 2 scheduled for end of July
Comlex PE: scheduled for April
Mostly Honors on Rotations, some HP, 1 Pass
Shelves: mostly HP (IM, Surg, OB/gyn) and P (FM, Psych, Peds)

I honestly want to do Anesthesia, but I'm not sure if I'm competitive enough for it. I know my scores are looking more like the IM route but just wanted to see if anyone that scored similar to me is on their way to Anesthesia residency or got enough interviews to be comfortable. I'm willing to apply broadly. If I apply to >60 or so programs. Do you think there is a good chance of matching?

Should I stick to it and go or just forget it and go the IM route? Please let me know if more information would be helpful.

Thanks for your help and advice. I truly appreciate it.
Maybe. If you net 8 interviews you have a 95% probability of matching. Hell, if you get 6 you still have a 90% chance.

I would 100% apply to gas if I were in your shoes, but I'm not you.

Attachments

• Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 75
Scroll down a bit to see the break downs. Almost everyone who failed to match had between a 400 to 499.
I thought this document only covered people who had gotten interviews. As in, many could have applied with over 500 and gotten 0 interviews and would not be counted here.

Do you not know how to interrupt data?

OP, you'll be fine for both specialties as far as matching goes. Especially if you're applying to that many programs.

Huh? Ok, I guess a level/step-1 score in range with the average matched seems to mean nothing.

And to answer your question, I prefer to let the data speak. Interrupting is quite rude...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
I thought this document only covered people who had gotten interviews. As in, many could have applied with over 500 and gotten 0 interviews and would not be counted here.

I don't imagine a person getting 0 interviews in anesthesia unless they opted to apply to maybe 5 programs in a single city.

Huh? Ok, I guess a level/step-1 score in range with the average matched seems to mean nothing.

And to answer your question, I prefer to let the data speak. Interrupting is quite rude...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It probably means more to the quality and location of where you will be able to match, but not whether or not you'll match. Similarly to how someone with over a 500 will likely match into a random radiology program somewhere, but not a big well respected one in a city.