Chances for Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-dent18721

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I wonder if you guys could help me with the chances I have to get into dental school. I have not taken the DAT yet but my science gpa is low (3.18) and my overall is 3.41. What score should I be aiming for in the DAT to have a chance to get in? Also, the two main schools I planning to apply are Tufts and Temple. What are my chances for those two schools?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone I wonder if you guys could help me with the chances I have to get into dental school. I have not taken the DAT yet but my science gpa is low (3.18) and my overall is 3.41. What score should I be aiming for in the DAT to have a chance to get in? Also, the two main schools I planning to apply are Tufts and Temple. What are my chances for those two schools?

Thank you

Not that my word is the gospel truth but your science gpa is pretty low for a science heavy program. Now, gpa is not everything - So I’d work really hard on having your science sections on the DAT as high as you can to show you have a understanding of the material (along with the PA, RC). Total science of 20+ will look good. They say you don’t want any sections under 17 but my first time I had gen chem 13 and retook and got 21 and my math first time was 21 and then 16 and I got in. Do a lot of practice test and dedicate as much time as you can. If you want this you have to put in the work. I spoke with the Dean at Tufts when my application was denied and he said that the two sections Tufts really liked on the DAT was PA and RC - and that even though I had strong academic stats I didn’t have a job and very little volunteering while In college so I wasn’t considered well rounded. My friend did get in last year and she had a 3.45 GPA (I don’t know about science) and got a 19 or 20 on the DAT. But had a job all four years and lots of volunteering.

I on the other hand graduated with a 3.8 and a sGPA 3.7, took the dat twice and got 20 and 21 with RC between 26-29 and a PA of 21. I also had years of shadowing and assisted an oral surgeon the last 1.5 years of undergrad. I did get into temple, and BU, and interview invites to NYU NOVA and UF.

Most people don’t apply with a perfect app. It’s a lot of give and take so if you are less than ideal in one section you should try to prove yourself in others. With a low gpa you want great EC/research and DAT scores. You also never know what the adcom is looking for and you might just randomly connect to someone reading your app/interviewing you.

Good luck, stay positive!

Reactions: 1 users
Not that my word is the gospel truth but your science gpa is pretty low for a science heavy program. Now, gpa is not everything - So I’d work really hard on having your science sections on the DAT as high as you can to show you have a understanding of the material (along with the PA, RC). Total science of 20+ will look good. They say you don’t want any sections under 17 but my first time I had gen chem 13 and retook and got 21 and my math first time was 21 and then 16 and I got in. Do a lot of practice test and dedicate as much time as you can. If you want this you have to put in the work. I spoke with the Dean at Tufts when my application was denied and he said that the two sections Tufts really liked on the DAT was PA and RC - and that even though I had strong academic stats I didn’t have a job and very little volunteering while In college so I wasn’t considered well rounded. My friend did get in last year and she had a 3.45 GPA (I don’t know about science) and got a 19 or 20 on the DAT. But had a job all four years and lots of volunteering.

I on the other hand graduated with a 3.8 and a sGPA 3.7, took the dat twice and got 20 and 21 with RC between 26-29 and a PA of 21. I also had years of shadowing and assisted an oral surgeon the last 1.5 years of undergrad. I did get into temple, and BU, and interview invites to NYU NOVA and UF.

Most people don’t apply with a perfect app. It’s a lot of give and take so if you are less than ideal in one section you should try to prove yourself in others. With a low gpa you want great EC/research and DAT scores. You also never know what the adcom is looking for and you might just randomly connect to someone reading your app/interviewing you.

Good luck, stay positive!

Thank you so much for your response I really appreciate getting back to me. I will try really hard to do as good as possible on the DAT and improve all the rest of my application. Thanks again and good luck to you too.

Reactions: 1 user