Chances for Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tacti_Turtleneck

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I should apply to a backup specialty (likely IM) or not. Step 1: 21x (just below 220 cutoff for many programs), Step 2 25x. I made significant improvements academically and honored most of my rotations throughout third year. I am also in a dual degree program. I have away rotations set up at a mix of academic and community hospitals, but I know my step 1 score might put me in trouble and am obviously trying to avoid the big SOAP. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe they will start looking at your S1 as a pass and focus more on your S2 score since it is going in that direction in 2024. Are some going to have a Pass instead a score for S1 starting in the 2023 match? Anestisiology match this year was a **** show for DO.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they will start looking at your S1 as a pass and focus more on your S2 score since it is going in that direction in 2024. Are some going to have a Pass instead a score for S1 starting in the 2023 match? Anestisiology match this year was a **** show for DO.
Why do you say it was a **** show?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you say it was a **** show?
Here is the ratio of matched/unmatched (raw data) and number of applications:

MD- .68 pgy1 (1372 applied) DO- .60 pgy1 (433 applied)
MD - .26 pgy2 (1038 appllied) DO- .22 pgy2 (295applied)
Charting Match Rate- 89.6% MD & 78.7% DO

MD- .70 pgy1 (1460 applied) DO-.52 pgy1 (513 applied)
MD- .20 pgy2 (1030 applied) DO-.18 pgy2 (366 applied)

MD- .71 pgy1 (1489 applied) DO-.52 pgy1 (505 applied)
MD- .21 pgy1 (1094 applied) DO-.17 pgy2 (305 applied)

To give you some insight on where the match rate is headed for Anesthesiology. Charting will give a more accurate percentage, but it will not look good.

Here is the ratio of matched/unmatched (raw data) and number of applications:

MD- .68 pgy1 (1372 applied) DO- .60 pgy1 (433 applied)
MD - .26 pgy2 (1038 appllied) DO- .22 pgy2 (295applied)
Charting Match Rate- 89.6% MD & 78.7% DO

MD- .70 pgy1 (1460 applied) DO-.52 pgy1 (513 applied)
MD- .20 pgy2 (1030 applied) DO-.18 pgy2 (366 applied)

MD- .71 pgy1 (1489 applied) DO-.52 pgy1 (505 applied)
MD- .21 pgy1 (1094 applied) DO-.17 pgy2 (305 applied)

To give you some insight on where the match rate is headed for Anesthesiology. Charting will give a more accurate percentage, but it will not look good.
I don't think this excludes applicants who apply to anesthesia as a backup for surgical specialties, so the picture is still a little clouded. Hopefully it will be clearer when the charting the outcomes is released.

I don't think this excludes applicants who apply to anesthesia as a backup for surgical specialties, so the picture is still a little clouded. Hopefully it will be clearer when the charting the outcomes is released.
From what I’ve read in the specialty specific forums, anesthesiology and radiology are becoming a lot more competitive for DOs (and maybe even low tier MDs?) with the decline of EM.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I’ve read in the specialty specific forums, anesthesiology and radiology are becoming a lot more competitive for DOs (and maybe even low tier MDs?) with the decline of EM.
It is no doubt getting more competitive!

You should definitely apply for a back up. NRMP data came out today, cycle was a mess for DOs for rads and gas (surprisingly PM and R).

This years match results
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.29.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.29.30 AM.png

Anesthesia is definitely becoming more competitive. Just look at the charting outcomes from 2018 and 2020. It has gone from 90% to 78% and now down to a match rate of 66%

2018:

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.33.46 AM.png

2020:

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 10.36.11 AM.png

Anesthesia is definitely becoming more competitive. Just look at the charting outcomes from 2018 and 2020. It has gone from 90% to 78% and now down to a match rate of 66%

2018:

View attachment 357276

2020:

View attachment 357277
These are pretty brutal. Do you happen to have the 2018 for MD? I can only find the most recent one. I wish they stratified match rate by school rank for MD. It doesn’t really help to get an aggregate match rate if one is going to a low tier MD school.

In terms of the declining match rates, I wonder whether the rapid DO school expansion is starting to have an effect or whether it’s related to these fields becoming more popular due to the downfall of EM

These are pretty brutal. Do you happen to have the 2018 for MD? I can only find the most recent one. I wish they stratified match rate by school rank for MD. It doesn’t really help to get an aggregate match rate if one is going to a low tier MD school.

In terms of the declining match rates, I wonder whether the rapid DO school expansion is starting to have an effect or whether it’s related to these fields becoming more popular due to the downfall of EM
Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 11.05.01 AM.png

Even MD's are seeing a drop, although not quite as much as DO's. It is essentially becoming a non-DO friendly field when in 2018 it was. There is no doubt that it is becoming more competitive.

I think you will be overall fine at a low-tier MD. I had friends who went to really new MD schools (cal northstate, carle illinois) and their match lists are better than the "best do schools." Having a USMD just helps in the process a lot more than a USDO does.

This was expected. The precovid charting outcomes are completely useless. It’s a stats heavy field that likes MDs. In NYC alone, half the programs don’t take DOs

This was expected. The precovid charting outcomes are completely useless. It’s a stats heavy field that likes MDs. In NYC alone, half the programs don’t take DOs
But then you have to ask what changed, because in 2018 it was definitely a DO friendly specialty.

Maybe crna fears on the decline? Or mid level scope in other fields catching up

Anesthesia and radiology aren’t DO unfriendly, look at the match lists from DO schools and most matches to anesthesia or rads are at good academic places. It’s just that there is way more applicants now.. and until we know what those DO applicants looked like on paper we can’t make any assumptions, if you have a bunch more of 210 step 1 and comlex only applicants the match rate is bound to drop…even the MD match rate has gone down in those fields compared to 2018. But when you have 1000’s more MD’s the overall match rate drop doesn’t seem so drastic.