Medical Chances as a Student Athlete for Top Tier Med School?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am a second year Division 1 student-athlete wondering what my future chances are for getting into a top tier medical school program. I am asking this prior to having an MCAT score, so that is something that will not be included, but I understand the weight that this carries and the impact it will have on my application. I have a history of strong test taking, and with work, hope to score well on that.

Majors: Biomedical science + Psychology (double major), will graduate in 3 years and take a gap year
GPA: 3.88 (undergrad) + 4.0 (community college from HS dual enrollment)
science GPA: 3.86
MCAT: will take January of 2022
I got EMT certified this summer and plan on being a volunteer EMT throughout my next 2 years. Plan on working as a EMT/PCA/EDTech during gap year.
I am a TA for 2 classes this semester and next.
I hold a leadership position in a pre-medical club on campus and am in a research related club currently.
I am a volunteer tutor for program supporting STEM entry in underserved communities in my area. (Non clinical volunteering)
I am joining a research lab remotely right now, and hope to eventually be able to be a part of that in person. (Publication possibility)
I have worked in hospital food service doing non-clinical work. Had patient interaction, as I delivered food to patients. Felt it was beneficial to me in finalizing my interest in medicine and saw the hierarchy of the hospital workforce.
I currently have no shadowing hours but have hours set up with 2 physicians when the pandemic subsides and allows for shadowing.

My concern for my application lies in that I did not have many experiences my first year. I was adjusting to the workload and practicing/doing team activities for 20+ hours every week. By the time I was ready to volunteer and begin shadowing, COVID-19 hit and I was unable to do that. That's when I began working in the hospital and EMT school.

I understand that without an MCAT, it's hard to say what my chances are, especially at top MD schools. However, I am more wondering if my experiences combined with my status as a student athlete open the door for me at those top schools.
Absolutely being a student athlete helps. However, you still need to have a solid application overall (which it seems you do so far). Use that "fourth year" to get more EC experience and ace your MCAT. If you keep your GPA up, do well on your MCAT, and get your EC numbers up, I don't see why you wouldn't land somewhere. Now, top tier??? IDK. Part of that comes with luck. Medical school is about getting in...somewhere, somehow. Once you have acceptance, then you can be picky.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely being a student athlete helps. However, you still need to have a solid application overall (which it seems you do so far). Use that "fourth year" to get more EC experience and ace your MCAT. If you keep your GPA up, do well on your MCAT, and get your EC numbers up, I don't see why you wouldn't land somewhere. Now, top tier??? IDK. Part of that comes with luck. Medical school is about getting in...somewhere, somehow. Once you have acceptance, then you can be picky.
To follow up my learned colleague's sage advice, med school Admissions Deans are inordinately fond of athlete-scholars.

Status
Not open for further replies.