chance of dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in the application cycle but I am almost 100% I won't be able to make it in this time. I am planning on applying again with my improved GPA and with my DAT retake (thinking for june). What are my chances? What do you think the best step is.

If post bacc, can I take couple courses at a university near my house and do a informal post bacc?
I am hoping that my DAT will be over 20 this time.

oGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.0

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am currently in the application cycle but I am almost 100% I won't be able to make it in this time. I am planning on applying again with my improved GPA and with my DAT retake (thinking for june). What are my chances? What do you think the best step is.

If post bacc, can I take couple courses at a university near my house and do a informal post bacc?
I am hoping that my DAT will be over 20 this time.

oGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.0
Your overall/science gpa is definitely on the lower side which will make it difficult. I would recommend applying with a higher DAT score than a 20 with your gpa. Aim for 22+ to try and offset it. Is the gpa included at the bottom of the post the “updated gpa” you’re talking about? Do you have an upward trend at all? Any upper division sciences that you’ve taken? How are your EC’s?

Can someone help me figure out my chances?
Undergrad GPA: 3.6, 3.4 science
Grad GPA: 3.7 (in a competitive masters program)
DAT: 19AA 19TS
I have consistent volunteer hours for the past 3 years (non dental). ~250 shadowing hours, ~120 hours of volunteering assisting. Shadowing at the university I want to attend, and currently doing research under a faculty member there.
I applied this cycle and just keep being told that I’m still being considered.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone help me figure out my chances?
Undergrad GPA: 3.6, 3.4 science
Grad GPA: 3.7 (in a competitive masters program)
DAT: 19AA 19TS
I have consistent volunteer hours for the past 3 years (non dental). ~250 shadowing hours, ~120 hours of volunteering assisting. Shadowing at the university I want to attend, and currently doing research under a faculty member there.
I applied this cycle and just keep being told that I’m still being considered.

Everything is really good, except of course your DAT. Not that you have a bad DAT score, but it’s just not necessarily helping you in any way. What university are you trying to get in?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Your overall/science gpa is definitely on the lower side which will make it difficult. I would recommend applying with a higher DAT score than a 20 with your gpa. Aim for 22+ to try and offset it. Is the gpa included at the bottom of the post the “updated gpa” you’re talking about? Do you have an upward trend at all? Any upper division sciences that you’ve taken? How are your EC’s?
Yea I am hoping to het around 21-22 on the DAT. Yea that's after the update. I do have an upward trend. I have taken several upper level courses. My EC's are decent.