Chance for next cycle PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewDent02

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a junior that has a 3.4 overall GPA and a 3.03 science GPA. Probably around a 3.4 BCP. I had a bad first year.
DAT: 21
180+ shadowing hours over 2 years
150+ volunteering hours over 2 years
Multiple extra curriculars, pre-dental club, Muslim student association, Biology club, neuroscience club.. etc.. tutoring hours, 3 jobs over the past 2 years. A bunch of other ECs.
2 strong letter of recs from dentists and 2 good letter of recs from 2 science profs.

I know I have to apply to private schools! Any help would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm guessing you would get a few interviews. Since you are a junior I'm guessing if you get a 4.0 this semester and next your sGPA should jump up to around 3.2-3.3 and your overall to 3.5-3.6. That would put you in a good spot. The only other thing I would maybe consider is retaking the DAT (because of your lower sGPA), but I still think you will get some interview regardless.

i would apply very broadly and early. no need to retake DAT with a 21 unless you have some unusually low section (<16) that would put you below cutoffs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know of any threads or school that will either tell me which schools to apply to with my stats? I am an Ohio resident so my shot at OSU / Case is slim..... I don’t know what schools to apply to really..

Do you guys know of any threads or school that will either tell me which schools to apply to with my stats? I am an Ohio resident so my shot at OSU / Case is slim..... I don’t know what schools to apply to really..

I would purchase the AADSAS Guide to Dental Schools. It was one of my best purchases when applying. It will give you all of the academic, financial, and demographic stats of every school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ADEA official guide to dental schools can help ya

I would purchase the AADSAS Guide to Dental Schools. It was one of my best purchases when applying. It will give you all of the academic, finical, and demographic stats of every school.

Wow posted that at the same time I did!

Reactions: 1 user

i’m actually an ohio resident too. i don’t think your chances are slim for either school. ohio state heavily favors ohio residents and case is private so residency status doesn’t matter much.

use the guide as mentioned before and this is a good thread for choosing OOS/Private schools too

OOS Friendly Schools List from ADEA Guide

i’m actually an ohio resident too. i don’t think your chances are slim for either school. ohio state heavily favors ohio residents and case is private so residency status doesn’t matter much.

use the guide as mentioned before and this is a good thread for choosing OOS/Private schools too

OOS Friendly Schools List from ADEA Guide
But my gpa is only a 3.4 and I have a low science.. case/OSU GPAs are really high...

those are average GPAs....id defer to the ADEA guide for complete stats. i think both would be a stretch for you but you won't know until you apply. you have a decent BCP gpa so i think that will help you.

those are average GPAs....id defer to the ADEA guide for complete stats. i think both would be a stretch for you but you won't know until you apply. you have a decent BCP gpa so i think that will help you.
Thanks man! I appreciate the help!