Central & Western US transitional year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM&Radam

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a 4th year med student applying to transitional year programs for next year (with a goal of going into PM&R after that).

I am looking for some guidance on transitional year programs, I would like to stick in the midwest, or go out west. but really i would probably go anywhere for a year and check out a different part of the country. I am wondering if anyone can relate any of their experiences (good or bad) that could help? Cush places? Great learning experiences? Got abused as cheap labor? any ones to definitely avoid or check out?

I would basically go anywhere but I probably want to avoid the very large metro areas (chicago, LA, etc)

i should probably also add that I would like to avoid OB & surgery as much as possible. I am going into PM&R and don't really see what that is going to do for me.

Also, honestly, I am not a very strong applicant, probably slightly below average in my class.

Members don't see this ad.

In the midwest:

St. Lukes in milwaukee. Awesome program. Nice life, great elective selection, wonderful perks. somewhat competitive.

St Josephs in milwaukee: Good program. More medicine, buts its usually pretty laid back, even on wards. Can do electives at Froedert (large tertiary care center in Milwaukee), but not as many as Lukes.

In the West:

Arizona: Tuscon Medical Education Cooperative (something like that): Seemed like a great program with good variety and electives.

Good Samaritan in Phoenix: Heard its really good, didn't see it.

St Joes in Pheonix: Prelim medicine but seems very cush. Not much elective time.

Arrowhead in Southern Cal: Mixed DO and MD. They work your tail off but you'll get to see a lot (including trauma).

Scripps in San Diego: Awesome, imposible to get into.