CDCA posterior endo exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nada2022

Reaction score
Hello
I had done endo exam for werb , and I fail it because there is a perforation in posterior tooth
I did not use high speed. I just did low speed round bur to clean the wax. I located the canals but I do not know why that happened.. i am planning to retake the exam soon
Could anybody help me with an advice how can I avoid the perforation?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

For #14, you cannot have a mesial marginal ridge that is < 2 mm. So try to give yourself ample room but starting more distally than where you initially drilled. You can still perf using a slow-speed if you aren't careful. I would also recommend cleaning out as much of the wax as you can with hand instruments, then going in with the slow speed for the very last part. Go extra slow this time around (5,000 rpm) and rinse like crazy. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
For #14, you cannot have a mesial marginal ridge that is < 2 mm. So try to give yourself ample room but starting more distally than where you initially drilled. You can still perf using a slow-speed if you aren't careful. I would also recommend cleaning out as much of the wax as you can with hand instruments, then going in with the slow speed for the very last part. Go extra slow this time around (5,000 rpm) and rinse like crazy. Good luck!
My dimensions were in the limit that you informed me. I am pretty sure now that my problem was with the low speed. Thank you so much for your advice it was very useful 😊

Reactions: 1 user
Don't feel bad about failing endo. Roughly 20% of my class failed (myself included) and will be taking it over. Some of my classmates perforated while looking for the mesial buccal canal, it seems like the rest of us failed because the opening wasn't large enough for the chamber to be completely opened. Good luck on your retake.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Another tip: at the center/deepest part of your prep, you cannot exceed 10 mm. I found that 9 mm was the perfect depth that allowed me to adequately unroof everything. For this part, I used the slow-speed handpiece and round bur (use the largest one so you aren't gouging out the walls) but pre-measured/mentally noted on the bur where ~8 mm was. I slowed down as I approached that 8 mm mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't feel bad about failing endo. Roughly 20% of my class failed (myself included) and will be taking it over. Some of my classmates perforated while looking for the mesial buccal canal, it seems like the rest of us failed because the opening wasn't large enough for the chamber to be completely opened. Good luck on your retake.
I appreciate it , thank you.

Another tip: at the center/deepest part of your prep, you cannot exceed 10 mm. I found that 9 mm was the perfect depth that allowed me to adequately unroof everything. For this part, I used the slow-speed handpiece and round bur (use the largest one so you aren't gouging out the walls) but pre-measured/mentally noted on the bur where ~8 mm was. I slowed down as I approached that 8 mm mark.
This was my fault, i just kept in same speed all time to remove all wax

Thank you