Casper Snapshot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bavestry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
None of the schools I've applied to have mentioned anything about Casper Snapshot. In your opinion, should I take the initiative and reach out to each school's admissions office asking whether they will be using this tool, or should I just wait until they let me know themselves? I want to reach out if it will show initiative, but I don't want to reach out if they will just be annoyed.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If a school needs something, they will let you know. There is no need to waste their time asking if they need something.
Yup. What's insidious about this is that CASPer is unilaterally sending the invitation to everyone taking CASPer, while many schools, when asked, are indicating they will not be using it.

This is counterintuitive to candidates, who would assume schools would be requiring something the CASPer folks are offering, since they are requiring CASPer in the first place. It is also extremely obnoxious and confusing, and the schools should force CASPer to retract the invitation unless and until they are instructed to issue it by a school that wants to participate. It really seems as though CASPer is trying to lure unsuspecting applicants into participating in a program designed to compete with VITA, without disclosing that there seems to be no need or obligation to do so.

The need to waste the schools' time comes from the fact that applicants are being solicited by the schools' outside vendor, without any information or disclosure as to whether participation is expected or required. The schools sent us to CASPer, so they should own this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Yup. What's insidious about this is that CASPer is unilaterally sending the invitation to everyone taking CASPer, while many schools, when asked, are indicating they will not be using it.

This is counterintuitive to candidates, who would assume schools would be requiring something the CASPer folks are offering, since they are requiring CASPer in the first place. It is also extremely obnoxious and confusing, and the schools should force CASPer to retract the invitation unless and until they are instructed to issue it by a school that wants to participate. It really seems as though CASPer is trying to lure unsuspecting applicants into participating in a program designed to compete with VITA, without disclosing that there seems to be no need or obligation to do so.

The need to waste the schools' time comes from the fact that applicants are being solicited by the schools' outside vendor, without any information or disclosure as to whether participation is expected or required. The schools sent us to CASPer, so they should own this!
Just thought I'd necro bump my own post to let everyone know that Altus is saying that Snapshot, as well as a new "value-alignment assessment" call Duet, will be mandatory next cycle for schools requiring CASPer. I cannot find anything anywhere contradicting this. I guess not enough schools (zero!) chose to use Snapshot voluntarily last year, so Altus is making it mandatory this year!

Does anyone know anything about it? Is it too soon for schools to know? The first CASPer tests for the next cycle will be administered on 5/4, and, apparently, the new requirements need to be completed within 10 days of taking CASPer!

Reactions: 3 users
Just thought I'd necro bump my own post to let everyone know that Altus is saying that Snapshot, as well as a new "value-alignment assessment" call Duet, will be mandatory next cycle for schools requiring CASPer. I cannot find anything anywhere contradicting this. I guess not enough schools (zero!) chose to use Snapshot voluntarily last year, so Altus is making it mandatory this year!

Does anyone know anything about it? Is it too soon for schools to know? The first CASPer tests for the next cycle will be administered on 5/4, and, apparently, the new requirements need to be completed within 10 days of taking CASPer!
Following. I was just about to sign up for the test 5/4. Are we really expected to do this?

EDIT: I can't even register for this test date because I don't have an AACOMAS ID, which I'm assuming we get when DO apps open on May 5th. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

All I could find is this person on Reddit saying that CASPer says it will be a requirement along with the test itself.

Following. I was just about to sign up for the test 5/4. Are we really expected to do this?

EDIT: I can't even register for this test date because I don't have an AACOMAS ID, which I'm assuming we get when DO apps open on May 5th. Am I missing something?
I haven't done it on AACOM myself, but I am pretty sure it works like AAMC, and you can sign up for an AACOM account without actually waiting for the AACOMAS cycle to open. You will be assigned an AACOM ID number at that time, which will follow you forever. It is not unique to a particular application cycle.

I haven't done it on AACOM myself, but I am pretty sure it works like AAMC, and you can sign up for an AACOM account without actually waiting for the AACOMAS cycle to open. You will be assigned an AACOM ID number at that time, which will follow you forever. It is not unique to a particular application cycle.
I had to use the "help chat" feature on AACOM to request my CAS ID. It is typically in the top right corner of the AACOMAS application but is not available until the application opens on May 3rd.

As far as CA$per Snapshot and Duet goes, I am still not sure. I registered for the exam on May 4th. There does not seem to be a list of schools requiring Snapshot/Duet. However, I am wondering if we need to complete these for the actual CA$Per test to be transmitted to schools.

I had to use the "help chat" feature on AACOM to request my CAS ID. It is typically in the top right corner of the AACOMAS application but is not available until the application opens on May 3rd.

As far as CA$per Snapshot and Duet goes, I am still not sure. I registered for the exam on May 4th. There does not seem to be a list of schools requiring Snapshot/Duet. However, I am wondering if we need to complete these for the actual CA$Per test to be transmitted to schools.
This I can answer. :) You don't. They will send CASPer scores without Snapshot or Duet.

The catch is that they (Altus) want us to complete everything, so they "require" it. The enforcement mechanism is that they close the Snapshot and Duet window for you 10 days after your CASPer date. So, if you don't do it now and it turns out you need it later, you are SOL until the next cycle, because there are no CASPer do-overs. As with everything else, whether or not you actually need them is up to each school individually.

This I can answer. :) You don't. They will send CASPer scores without Snapshot or Duet.

The catch is that they (Altus) want us to complete everything, so they "require" it. The enforcement mechanism is that they close the Snapshot and Duet window for you 10 days after your CASPer date. So, if you don't do it now and it turns out you need it later, you are SOL until the next cycle, because there are no CASPer do-overs. As with everything else, whether or not you actually need them is up to each school individually.
Hmm, Altus is playing games. I am willing to bet most schools will not be requiring Duet and Snapshot.

I just found this on the website:

"Although there is no set time that you are required to complete Snapshot, those programs that have made completing Snapshot mandatory request that you take it within 10 days of completing the Casper Test.

If you’ve already completed the Casper Test and the score distribution deadline has passed for your program(s), but you have not yet taken Snapshot, that is ok! Your application will not be considered incomplete, but we do ask that you complete Snapshot as soon as possible."

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm, Altus is playing games. I am willing to bet most schools will not be requiring Duet and Snapshot.

I just found this on the website:

"Although there is no set time that you are required to complete Snapshot, those programs that have made completing Snapshot mandatory request that you take it within 10 days of completing the Casper Test.

If you’ve already completed the Casper Test and the score distribution deadline has passed for your program(s), but you have not yet taken Snapshot, that is ok! Your application will not be considered incomplete, but we do ask that you complete Snapshot as soon as possible."
That was last year. This is this year:

"Do I have to take all parts of Altus Suite at once?
No. While you have to take the Casper test at a specific time, Snapshot and Duet can be completed anytime after booking your Casper test and no later than 10 days after taking the actual test. Please note only applicants to US undergraduate and graduate medical programs can take Duet."

"Is participation in Snapshot required or optional?

All applicants are required to complete Snapshot, except for paramedics, applicants
to programs in the UK, and applicants to Canadian post-graduate medical programs."

"When do I need to complete Snapshot?

You can complete Snapshot anytime after logging in to your Altus Suite account to reserve your Casper test date, and no later than 10 days after completing the Casper test."

"Who is required to complete Duet?

All applicants to US undergraduate and graduate medical programs."

"When do I need to complete Duet?

You can complete Duet anytime after logging in to your Altus Suite account to reserve your Casper test date, and no later than 10 days after completing the Casper test."

Members don't see this ad :)
That was last year. This is this year:

"Do I have to take all parts of Altus Suite at once?
No. While you have to take the Casper test at a specific time, Snapshot and Duet can be completed anytime after booking your Casper test and no later than 10 days after taking the actual test. Please note only applicants to US undergraduate and graduate medical programs can take Duet."

"Is participation in Snapshot required or optional?

All applicants are required to complete Snapshot, except for paramedics, applicants
to programs in the UK, and applicants to Canadian post-graduate medical programs."

"When do I need to complete Snapshot?

You can complete Snapshot anytime after logging in to your Altus Suite account to reserve your Casper test date, and no later than 10 days after completing the Casper test."

"Who is required to complete Duet?

All applicants to US undergraduate and graduate medical programs."

"When do I need to complete Duet?

You can complete Duet anytime after logging in to your Altus Suite account to reserve your Casper test date, and no later than 10 days after completing the Casper test."
Something new every year, smh. Thanks for the info.

more hurdles to jump through...not to mention the Situation Judgement Test that Geisinger is rolling out.
the path to becoming a physician isn't going to be worth it at some point (some would argue it already isn;t)

more hurdles to jump through...not to mention the Situation Judgement Test that Geisinger is rolling out.
the path to becoming a physician isn't going to be worth it at some point (some would argue it already isn;t)
Honestly, I would just rather schools hire a psychologist to follow me around for a week. /s

• Haha
I loathe Casper and all their misbegotten Casper offspring.
Especially this year. They are pressuring us to take these additional assessments without providing any transparency into whether schools are actually going to either require or use them, under the threat that we might need them later and be unable to access them.

Duet is allegedly "used to find alignment between what the applicant values in a program and what the program has to offer. Duet can be used by programs at multiple stages in the process, including refining the candidate pool for interviews or during the process of ranking or deciding offers.

There is no practice component for Duet as it is a measure of your own personal values and preferences. Just make sure to read the instructions carefully, as well as the characteristics and their definitions before proceeding to the comparison pages. Once there, go with your gut: there’s no right or wrong answer.

Currently, we do not provide applicants their results from Duet, however we are investigating what information would be most helpful to applicants while they are applying to programs."

Pure evil!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Especially this year. They are pressuring us to take these additional assessments without providing any transparency into whether schools are actually going to either require or use them, under the threat that we might need them later and be unable to access them.

Duet is allegedly "used to find alignment between what the applicant values in a program and what the program has to offer. Duet can be used by programs at multiple stages in the process, including refining the candidate pool for interviews or during the process of ranking or deciding offers.

There is no practice component for Duet as it is a measure of your own personal values and preferences. Just make sure to read the instructions carefully, as well as the characteristics and their definitions before proceeding to the comparison pages. Once there, go with your gut: there’s no right or wrong answer.

Currently, we do not provide applicants their results from Duet, however we are investigating what information would be most helpful to applicants while they are applying to programs."

Pure evil!!!
Ik it's just speculation at this stage, but do we think schools will actually require/account for our Duet or Snapshot results? Not that it really matters since we're being forced to complete both, but just curious. Seems like with so many other methods of evaluation for applicants, this just seems like a pointless way of trying to gauge our character?

Ik it's just speculation at this stage, but do we think schools will actually require/account for our Duet or Snapshot results? Not that it really matters since we're being forced to complete both, but just curious. Seems like with so many other methods of evaluation for applicants, this just seems like a pointless way of trying to gauge our character?
Agreed. I'm not so sure schools are driving this at all. To me, it looks like Altus trying to develop something to compete with VITA.

The fact that it's free really scares me. I think they are trying to gather data on us to use to develop something involving AI to weed us out. This is widely used in HR in the real world. It's the VITA vendor's claim to fame. The fact that schools are going along, and allowing us to be used in this way, is disturbing, but, I'm sure the pitch is that it's costing the schools nothing and might provide great benefits to them in the future.

What other value could there possibly be to an asynchronous video of us, in the same process in which we participate in live interviews, either in person or virtually? How much time can adcoms possibly save watching thousands of videos, in addition to reading tens of thousands of pages of application material, in addition to interviewing us, and then meeting to talk about and vote on us? What can they possibly glean from these videos that they wouldn't otherwise have, to help them make decisions?

I think the end game is to use these assessments to have machines weed us out pre-II. They're not there yet, so this is just a BS waste of our time and effort at this point, but I think we are involuntary guinea pigs being used to develop AI tools to make their jobs easier and less personal in the future. JMHO, but I resent it.

Reactions: 2 users
Duet is allegedly "used to find alignment between what the applicant values in a program and what the program has to offer. Duet can be used by programs at multiple stages in the process, including refining the candidate pool for interviews or during the process of ranking or deciding offers."
What a load of crap. Outside of location and certain niche offerings, peer schools within a tier are largely indistinguishable in their patient care, education, and research opportunities. There's a reason why schools have such similar mission statements. And when only 20% of applicants receive multiple acceptances, "what the applicant values" is simply being a medical student anywhere rather than being a reapplicant. Calling this "Duet" is merely putting lipstick on a pig. My sympathies to future applicants.
Disclaimer: the views and opinions expressed in this post belong solely to the author and do not represent the official policy or position of this forum, moderator staff, or their medical school and admissions committee.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
FYI I just took Duet and its pretty chill, probably can't say much without Altus coming after me but I would actually be interested in having every school participate in this. It would force you to commit to one track/mission/curriculum style you like, rather than telling one school one thing and another school a different thing. Right now its only going to a few schools all of which seem to have similar missions.

What a load of crap. Outside of location and certain niche offerings, peer schools within a tier are largely indistinguishable in their patient care, education, and research opportunities. There's a reason why schools have such similar mission statements. And when only 20% of applicants receive multiple acceptances, "what the applicant values" is simply being a medical student anywhere rather than being a reapplicant. Calling this "Duet" is merely putting lipstick on a pig. My sympathies to future applicants.
Disclaimer: the views and opinions expressed in this post belong solely to the author and do not represent the official policy or position of this forum, moderator staff, or their medical school and admissions committee.
Related - Ad-Conned: A Critical Look At CASPer | Science-Based Medicine (sciencebasedmedicine.org)

The unfortunate reality is that schools that use these tools will probably be rewarded with fewer applications to wade through. Then other schools will adopt it too, despite no meaningful benefits to the application process.

Related - Ad-Conned: A Critical Look At CASPer | Science-Based Medicine (sciencebasedmedicine.org)

The unfortunate reality is that schools that use these tools will probably be rewarded with fewer applications to wade through. Then other schools will adopt it too, despite no meaningful benefits to the application process.
Nah. No matter they say, schools like the selectivity that comes from a huge surplus of applicants, not to mention the associated application fees. :)

FYI I just took Duet and its pretty chill, probably can't say much without Altus coming after me but I would actually be interested in having every school participate in this. It would force you to commit to one track/mission/curriculum style you like, rather than telling one school one thing and another school a different thing. Right now its only going to a few schools all of which seem to have similar missions.
I just took it as well. I think it would be an interesting product if schools had their own mission profile and students used it to match their mission/values with particular schools when making a school list.

Also, I don't know why they didn't just have you rank things 1-n. It really seemed kind of silly.

None of the schools I've applied to have mentioned anything about Casper Snapshot. In your opinion, should I take the initiative and reach out to each school's admissions office asking whether they will be using this tool, or should I just wait until they let me know themselves? I want to reach out if it will show initiative, but I don't want to reach out if they will just be annoyed.
I've found on the Casper website a tab that says if schools require it or not. If you go to the "Date & Fees" tab on Casper then it will tell you on the right side if it is required. So far no school has it listed as required.
1620698845744.png

I just posted about this elsewhere but I found on the Casper website schools that will require or not require it. Go to the "Dates & Fees" and select your programs that you want to take. Then on the right side it will tell you if it is required. FYI, I couldn't find a single school that lists it as required.

1620699049395.png

I just posted about this elsewhere but I found on the Casper website schools that will require or not require it. Go to the "Dates & Fees" and select your programs that you want to take. Then on the right side it will tell you if it is required. FYI, I couldn't find a single school that lists it as required.

View attachment 336756
This is great. It would be even better if it applied to the next cycle rather than the one now ending. Didn't you think it was weird that all of the dates were crossed out??

• Haha

View attachment 336756
Unfortunately I think thats for last cycle. This cycle its required for everyone, although many schools have said they're not going to use it. I would just take it and do your best, but not stress too much because its very likely going to not matter at all. Just don't look or sound terrible.

That's interesting... some schools appear to no longer require it? Case Western, Icahn, URochester are some that don't show up as schools you can send scores to for AltusSuite, but they did show up as required last cycle.

Am I getting that right?

PS. URochester shows up when you click "BROWSE TEST DATES AND TIMES," but not when you actual begin to reserve your test and have to select which schools to send your scores to.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think thats for last cycle. This cycle its required for everyone, although many schools have said they're not going to use it. I would just take it and do your best, but not stress too much because its very likely going to not matter at all. Just don't look or sound terrible.
Ah, you're right, they won't tell you whether it is required or not this cycle, so they said it just is required I'm guessing or else noone would take it. Nice catch

This is great. It would be even better if it applied to the next cycle rather than the one now ending. Didn't you think it was weird that all of the dates were crossed out??
Yeah, on the website they said to check the dates and fees to find out if it is required but then I guess they don't show it for this cycle. Kind of messed up they don't show it for this cycle, my guess is that they really want everyone to take it and nooone took it when it wasn't required last year so now they don't even show which schools require it. Meaning all schools "require" it or they are purposely hiding info to make us all take it.

There was a post on Reddit. A person emailed Casper and they said they will still send scores without taking Snapshot.

I loathe Casper and all their misbegotten Casper offspring.
I just took Casper. Altus Suite (misbegotten offspring, love it!) is requesting Snapshot and Duet be completed within 10 days. I have not been able to find information of whether schools for this app cycle are requiring all 3. Seems invasive in some ways and l dislike their focus on data mining. Certainly as in Duet, not everything can be reduced to binary choices. Would you recommend completing the other 2 parts just in case?

I just took Casper. Altus Suite (misbegotten offspring, love it!) is requesting Snapshot and Duet be completed within 10 days. I have not been able to find information of whether schools for this app cycle are requiring all 3. Seems invasive in some ways and l dislike their focus on data mining. Certainly as in Duet, not everything can be reduced to binary choices. Would you recommend completing the other 2 parts just in case?
I really have no idea whether anyone should complete them. I wish I did. Sorry.

The safe option is to take them, in my opinion. Would be unfortunate skipping out and realizing x number of schools end up requiring it later down the road, in which case you could no longer apply to those schools.

The safe option is to take them, in my opinion. Would be unfortunate skipping out and realizing x number of schools end up requiring it later down the road, in which case you could no longer apply to those schools.
THIS^^^ is EXACTLY what they want you to do. Data mining by Altus is the correct answer. That's the only reason for them to insist it is required when it clearly is not (at least not by many schools) and to refuse to provide any transparency regarding the topic, like they did last cycle when it was clear that Snapshot was optional everywhere, and they apparently had very few volunteers. No, I don't know this for a fact, but, if it wasn't true, why the change this year?

Yes, it is work, but rather than sweating out a decision, we all have to either get off our you-know-whats and reach out to each and every CASPer school we are applying to and ask, OR submit to the data mining, OR refuse and take our chances. There is no fourth option here folks, and going by whatever an anonymous poster on SDN says (including me :cool:) is not really the way to start an application cycle! :)

THIS^^^ is EXACTLY what they want you to do. Data mining by Altus is the correct answer. That's the only reason for them to insist it is required when it clearly is not (at least not by many schools) and to refuse to provide any transparency regarding the topic, like they did last cycle when it was clear that Snapshot was optional everywhere, and they apparently had very few volunteers. No, I don't know this for a fact, but, if it wasn't true, why the change this year?

Yes, it is work, but rather than sweating out a decision, we all have to either get off our you-know-whats and reach out to each and every CASPer school we are applying to and ask, OR submit to the data mining, OR refuse and take our chances. There is no fourth option here folks, and going by whatever an anonymous poster on SDN says is not really the way to start an application cycle! :)
Agreed and I think their way of handling this is complete BS. Can't imagine when they start charging us extra to take these garbage "assessments"

Ideally, option 1 is the best, if every school has already made up their mind, but if schools haven't decided yet, we are still at their mercy with the 10-day limit. So, I think option 2 is the next best, even if it is playing directly into their hands.

Agreed and I think their way of handling this is complete BS. Can't imagine when they start charging us extra to take these garbage "assessments"

Ideally, option 1 is the best, if every school has already made up their mind, but if schools haven't decided yet, we are still at their mercy with the 10-day limit. So, I think option 2 is the next best, even if it is playing directly into their hands.
I took it because Michigan was requiring it on their website when my Snapshot deadline was coming up.

However, according to this reddit post, no MD school is requiring it and only one DO school is requiring it:

I guess Michigan changed their mind. Whatever, it was honestly fairly chill, just like typical job interview questions... I would consider emailing all your CASPer schools just to check if you want to be fully risk averse.

I took it because Michigan was requiring it on their website when my Snapshot deadline was coming up.

However, according to this reddit post, no MD school is requiring it and only one DO school is requiring it:

I guess Michigan changed their mind. Whatever, it was honestly fairly chill, just like typical job interview questions... I would consider emailing all your CASPer schools just to check if you want to be fully risk averse.

How many more interview type things do they want us to do? Meanwhile, NP schools are just taking people off the street at 100% acceptance rates. This is absurd.

Totally agree, but I think it's far more sinister than you realize.

The idea is not to sell a garbage assessment that schools will have no interest in. I think the idea is to gather data to create an algorithm to screen us pre-II. I believe this because this is the big product sold by HireVue, the company behind VITA, that AAMC thankfully abandoned this year. Snapshot is Altus' flavor of VITA.

A one way prerecorded interview otherwise has zero value in a process that includes multiple essays, grades and standardized test scores, extensive recitations of ECs, and live interviews. AI screens of one way candidate videos are widely used in the HR world. I don't think they are appropriate for screening applicants to enter an educational program, as opposed to those applying for a job, where they might have some value, but I see how an adcom could be receptive to a pitch how this could help them efficiently work through 10,000 applications for 100 seats in a class.

Either way, I think it is extremely offensive for Altus to try to force us to be their guinea pigs, and, rather than be compensated, actually be forced to pay for the privilege as part of the Altus Suite. Thankfully, most schools do not seem to be going along. Altus seriously overestimated our willingness to just go along when they said this crap was "required" by all US MD programs using CASPer.

It would be even better if the schools would reward Altus for the sleazy, sneaky way they are going about this by dropping CASPer as well, and just sticking to MMIs, to the extent they feel there is any value at all to these types of assessments. I hate that I am being forced to give Altus a dime as a condition of being allowed to apply to certain schools, but that's clearly a fight for another day.

Last edited:
Totally agree, but I think it's far more sinister than you realize.

The idea is not to sell a garbage assessment that schools will have no interest in. I think the idea is to gather data to create an algorithm to screen us pre-II. I believe this because this is the big product sold by HireVue, the company behind VITA, that AAMC thankfully abandoned this year. Snapshot is Altus' flavor of VITA.

A one way prerecorded interview otherwise has zero value in a process that includes multiple essays, grades and standardized test scores, extensive recitations of ECs, and live interviews. AI screens of one way candidate videos are widely used in the HR world. I don't think they are appropriate for screening applicants to enter an educational program, as opposed to those applying for a job, where they might have some value, but I see how an adcom could be receptive to a pitch how this could help them efficiently work through 10,000 applications for 100 seats in a class.

Either way, I think it is extremely offensive for Altus to try to force us to be their guinea pigs, and, rather than be compensated, actually be forced to pay for the privilege as part of the Altus Suite. Thankfully, most schools do not seem to be going along. Altus seriously overestimated our willingness to just go along when they said this crap was "required" by all US MD programs using CASPer.

It would be even better if the schools would reward Altus for the sleazy, sneaky way they are going about this by dropping CASPer as well, and just sticking to MMIs, to the extent they feel there is any value at all to these types of assessments. I hate that I am being forced to give Altus a dime as a condition of being allowed to apply to certain schools, but that's clearly a fight for another day.
didn't even consider this. Decided to reach out to the schools on my list. Opting out of Snapshot

• Love
How many more interview type things do they want us to do? Meanwhile, NP schools are just taking people off the street at 100% acceptance rates. This is absurd.
Reminds me of a Lee Brice song.
"Cause there ain't no party interview like the pre-party interview
And after the party interview is the after-party interview
At the parkin' lot party interview"

The parking lot interview is just them hiding in your car to surprise you after work and ask you why you want to be a doctor. It shows how you perform under pressure and published data showed that answers like, "i like science" and "i like helping people" correlate with low class ranking and low Step scores.

• Haha
Update: evidently someone emailed some schools to check the other redditor's work and at least one is requiring snapshot, Colorado. The available online information is unreliable, if you're planning on skipping Snapshot I'd check with schools to be safe

The medical training process is becoming increasingly predatory. Too bad there isn’t some way for pre-meds to fight back. Any antitrust lawyers out there? Is there a way to fight these fringe companies?

The medical training process is becoming increasingly predatory. Too bad there isn’t some way for pre-meds to fight back. Any antitrust lawyers out there? Is there a way to fight these fringe companies?
On a positive note, AAMC DID back away from VITA. I'd like to think that negative feedback from applicants and adcoms, as well as a greater understanding of where the vendor was seeking to go with the data it was collecting, had a lot to do with that.

Unfortunately, the only way to fight back is with our feet. Although we don't "need-need" any particular school, the fact that 40-something out of 150+ MD schools require CASPer would make not applying to them a self-defeating difficult call for us.

Other than that, what's the antitrust issue? The schools set the requirements, as they are entitled to do. We have no inherent right to a medical school education that is being violated by a bunch of independent schools making independent decisions whether and how to use certain products in making admission decisions. The fact that all schools don't use MCATs the same way, for all applicants, or even require CASPer at all, is what would render an antitrust claim DOA.

Wow... In the 5 years since I had to take this garbage test it's only gotten significantly worse hasn't it? When I applied there were only like 6 schools that wanted it and now it's metastasized to over 50... TF is a Casper Snapshot?